Chapter 41: Life Resumed

6 weeks go by and things are still pretty neutral between Dean and I. We've had simple kisses only twice since that day and our time together is mostly spent contemplating the outcome of having this baby. I sometimes try to talk about the night of the incident, but Dean refuses. He will leave me alone and only talk to me again if I change the topic. It's frustrating but I think I'm starting to understand. Sam gets back from hunting a Jin in South Dakota one night. Me and Dean are sitting in the library reading. "How was it man?" Dean asks slamming the book shut.

"You know" Sam throws his bag on the ground, clothes tumbling out of it "pretty easy. The body count stayed at 3, saved the rest of them" he nods walking past us. I look over at Dean who is nodding his head. I can see the tension in his eyes. He wishes he was out there.

"Why don't you go with him next time?" I ask flipping the corner page down I was about to read. He looks at me like my head has 12 snakes coming out of it. "I'm serious" I stand up. I go over and grab the bag off the floor and walk into the laundry room. Dean follows me and stands in the door way.

"I can't leave you" he says to me. I roll my eyes and turn to him. I forget what I wanted to say as I see Dean standing there. His arm stretched over his head, leaning against the door frame. His stomach peaking from underneath his layered clothing. His hair perfectly coiffed on top his head, and his green eyes staring at me with nothing but true concern. I shake my head a little bit to regain my thoughts and turn back to the laundry. I begin to sort through the clothes in the room. "What?" Dean asks from where he is standing.

"I'm 12 weeks pregnant, nothing is going to happen for a long time. There's really no reason for you to stay cooped in this house with me." I say turning on the machine and filling it with soap.

"You don't know that" he calls out, his voice getting closer with each word. I can feel him behind me and my hand shakes. I drop the bottle of soap into the machine. Only, this tremble wasn't in fear, it was in anticipation. I quickly reach my hand in to grab it.

"Everything okay?" He asks

"Yup, fine. Just need to make the load a bit bigger now" I smile although he can't see me. I thank God that he can't because he would be able to read right through this smile.

"Right." He drags on the word a bit more. "It's fine Hayden, I like being here with you." He tells me. I finish adding the clothes and close the lid letting the cycle begin. I turn to him.

"Dean, it's not like things are changing around here, and how could they when we're awkwardly hanging around each other everyday." I start to explain walking out "maybe this could be good. You're gone for a few days, I'm here worrying, you come back, having something different we can talk about, it will change the pace of things. I think it'd be good for us" I finish talking reaching the table where my book was once laying.

"I don't know" he thinks out loud.

I step a bit closer to him and put my hand on his shoulder "just think about it." He nods his head once and I remove my hand, leaving him, and my book behind.

-----

"Hayden, got a minute?" Dean pops his head around the corner 2 weeks later.

"What's up?" I say looking up to him from the chair. I remove my hands from the keyboard.

"I'm gonna go with Sam on this next one. If that's okay, it's a pretty serious thing going on, Castiel is coming along too." He rambles on.

"Of course it's okay, you don't have to ask me" my smile grows, I'm glad he will be getting out and doing what he does best.

"Can I give you something?" He asks. I nod my head and he leaves the room. I move from the chair to the bed, eagerly waiting for him to return. He walks back in with something wrapped in an old yellow towel.

"Here" he places it on the dresser and unwraps it.

My eyes furrow when I see it "the blade?" I question.

"I don't want to take it with me, I don't want to have to use it." He steps away from it walking backwards.

"What if you need it?" I ask walking towards it

"I don't want to use it, I can't let it control me, not with everything that's going on." He explains. I go to to the blade. I am about to grab the handle of the blade but notice Dean's uncomfortable gaze from where he is standing and instead I wrap it back up and put it securely under my arm.

"I'll take good care of it" I smile to him. He smiles back and comes closer to me, giving me a hug. He pulls away and is about to give me a kiss but stops himself. I blush sheepishly. "Be safe Dean" I say to him leaning my forehead towards him.

"I will" he says smiling. He kisses my head softly and just as fast, he's out the door. I walk to my closet and hide the blade between some clothes, lingering just a little when the blades handle shows. I sigh, cover it back up, and close the door. I go back to the laptop and continue what I was doing.