Chapter 25: The Mark of Cain

"Sam! Castiel!" I call out looking for either one of them. Sam walks out to the library first.

"What's on Dean's arm?" I point at my right arm for emphasis.

"He showed you that?" He asks with soft eyes.

"No!" I spit back annoyed. "I walked in on him showering and saw it for myself! What is it?" I demand again.

He sits down in a chair in rubs his hands through his hair "it's the mark of Cain," he says flatly

"What is that?" I sit across from him, listening.

"You ever hear of the story of Cain and Abel?" He asks. I nod yes. "Well it didn't go down exactly the way the bible said." He continues to explain the story.

"Father of murder?" I whisper out when he's done explaining. "So why does Dean have the mark?" I question not following.

"Only the one baring the mark of Cain can kill a knight of hell" Sam tries to explain to me.

"Why doesn't Cain kill Abadon then?" More questions fly through my head.

"He doesn't kill anymore. He wouldn't do it" Sam puts his head down "so Dean has to be the one now" he finishes.

"Oh. And this mark, it's changing him?" I ask looking into Sam's eyes for the truth.

"It wasn't, until he got a hold of the first blade" he says. I give him yet another questioning look. "It's the only weapon that will kill a knight of hell." He says

"And you need the mark of Cain for it to work?" I assume.

"Exactly" he assures me "so we found the blade and he used it to save me. and after that-- Well.." He trails off

"Well what, Sam" I yell out impatiently.

"Well he's changing. He's craving to kill. He's addicted to the blade and the power he gets from killing" Sam opens up. I look down at the table lost.

"What do we do?" I question scared of what the answer is.

"I don't know. I'm keeping the blade away from him. He's not happy, I think he's trying to fill that void somehow" he stops talking.

"Yea, with sex" I say out loud. He gives me a look of horror, and I realized I shared too much with his brother "sorry" I shrug. "Can I do anything?" I ask.

"I don't know Hayden, I honestly don't. Once Abadon is dead, hopefully we can get rid of the blade for good and get rid of the mark."

I nod agreeing with him. "Thanks for telling me" I stand up. I walk over to him and he smirks at me. I punch him in the arm.

"Ow! What's that for?" He grabs his arm

"For not telling me sooner!" I walk away from him.

Dean doesn't come back to the bunker for another day. I tried to call him but every call went to voicemail. He wouldn't pick up calls from Castiel or Sam either. When he does return there is lust in his eyes. He comes over to where I'm standing and hoists me up grabbing my ass and wrapping my legs around him. He's forcing his lips against mine and I try to mumble out his name but can't. He walks over to the huge table and pushes off all of the books and lays me down. He goes to unbutton his jeans but I stop him. He looks at me and the lust doesn't leave his eyes. "I need you" he pants out grabbing at the button again. I grab his hand and move it away.

"No, you don't. You need the blade" the lust in his eyes instantly changes to rage and he slams both hands hard against the table on either side of me. I jump startled and afraid inching as far into the table as I can be. He doesn't move his hands away and just stares at me. I gulp hard and stare back at him "Dean" I whisper out. His eyes begin to slowly soften. I raise one hand and gently touch his arm. His arms loosen as well and he moves away from me. I slide off of the table and follow him onto the couch.

"I don't know whats gotten into me" he shakes his head

"It's the mark" I tell him grabbing ahold of his arm and rolling the sleeve up. I look down at it, studying it. He looks down at it as well.

"It's not the mark" he retorts back to me and pulls his arm gently away.

"Why didn't you tell me about this?" I push lightly, trying not to anger him.

"There's nothing to tell, it's just another step in saving the world" he says sarcastically.

"Dean, I want to be in this with you. You can tell me anything" I confess to him

"If I tell you" he starts to say "then it becomes real. There's no make believe or playing nice. If I tell you, then it's harder for me to keep you safe, to protect you."

I shake my hair "you don't need to protect me anymore Dean." I say. He looks at me like I just said something utterly stupid. "I mean it, I know you. I know what you do and what you've done. I'm still here" I touch his face and keep it there. He leans into it.

"It's not that easy" he admits.

"I didn't say it would be" I interrupt him before he could say more. His leg starts to shake like he's itching for a fix. I know what he needs.

"Do you want to go back to the table?" I smirk at him. If sex is what will help stop the craving to kill, sex is what I'll give him. He looks at me shocked then looks down to the floor.

"Naw, that's okay Hayden" he says trying to hide his smirk.

"I don't mind, I like sex too, yanno" I say to him. His smirk turns into a smile and he quickly lifts me up again. Grabbing me like before only this time I wrap my legs around him willingly. I pull at his shirt, and this time he lets me take it off. We get it off and as he begins to unbutton my top we hear a cough come from the other side of the room. Dean looks up and I look back behind me with my head upside down. Castiel is standing there awkwardly.

"Cassss. What do you need?" Dean asks dropping his head sighing. I chuckle and look at Dean and the frustrated lines on his face.

"It's uh, Crowley. He uh, is on the phone for you" he holds up his phone.

"Tell him I'll call him back" he raises his tone just a little.

"Dean, I'm sure your little darling would much rather have victory sex after you kill Abadon" the Scottish mans voice rings out.

"Speaker phone" Castiel shrugs his shoulders. I laugh some more.

Dean lifts himself up from the table and walks over to Castiel grabbing the phone. I sit up and turn to watch. I button up my shirt and notice Castiel blushing with his head down.

"You've got eyes on Abadon?" Dean grunts into the phone

"No you Baffoon I just like to make crank calls. Yes I have eyes on the wicked wench. Do you have the blade?" Crowley asks him. Dean turns the phone off of speaker and starts to walk out.

I hear Dean say "I'll get it. Where are you" and he's gone. Me and Castiel are left standing in silence.

"Sorry about interrupting-- That.." He points to the table.

I laugh "it's okay, at least it was good timing, could've been worse" I start to pick up the books strewn across the floor. He gives me a confused look and I just stare at him waiting for it to connect.

"Ohh!" His eyes light up when he realizes. "Before you actually started to have sex together. I-- uhm, I understand" he nods walking away. I laugh more and try to keep my mind off of the idea that Dean is going to finally kill Abadon with the blade and that will mean for him after. It's been months that they've been after her, and who knows what will happen.