Chapter 26 - Zalfie

-Joe POV-

I look over to the clock on the wall. 10:07. I back look over at the door. Visiting hours started 7 minutes ago. Where is Zoë?

She's always here at 10 o'clock sharp, and stays until 6 in the evening; when visiting hours end. Never has the schedule been any different.

Just as I'm about to text her, I hear the door open. I look over, and Zoë's standing there. I'm relieved. She's talking to someone I can't see.

I hear her say "Okay, see you in a second!" And I see her lean in to give a quick kiss to someone. But... she's not dating anyone. Is mum or dad here? Why would they not come in?

She kind of skips in, her contentment obvious. She plops down in a chair next to me, an excited look on her face.

"Joe." She says. I raise one eyebrow.

"Zoë." I respond. Usually she'd roll her eyes, but today is different. She completely brushes it off as she continues to speak.

"I have some big news." She barely gets it out, I can tell she's bursting with excitement. I let out a soft chuckle.

"Well, get on with it then!"

"I'm-" Is all she manages to say before she hides her face in her lap, bursting with giggles and smiles.

I'm really glad she's so happy, but I'd wish she'd tell me what's up.

"Come on." I urge, emphasizing the 'on.' She looks up at me with the biggest grin, and holds out on her left hand.

On her fingers sits a beautiful silver ring, with three sparkling diamonds in the center. It was absolutely beautiful.

But who gave it to her? She wasn't dating anyone, was she?

"Who gave that to you?"

"Alfie." Her smile faded into a frown when she saw my confusion.

"Damn." She cursed under her breath, but loud enough for me to hear. "I thought that'd be enough."

I give her a sympathetic smile. "Well he certainly is lucky. But he better treat you right!"

She can tell I'm just covering for the fact I had no clue about her and Alfie. I can see it in her eyes. The eyes that are starting to fill with tears.

I hate seeing my sister cry. I sit up and wipe away the tear that has escaped her eye.

"Hey, hey... Zoë. Don't cry. Please." I beg. "I'm gonna be okay. We'll get through this."

She turns her head and brushes more tears off. I take her hands in mine, and give them a squeeze. She purses her lips before facing me again.

"I-I just want you to remember. If this-" She points at her ring. "Isn't enough, I don't know what will be." She shakes her head and releases her hands from my grasp.

"We can re-teach you these things, I guess. But you'll never truly understand. I-I'm sorry." She gets up and heads towards the doors.

"Zoë- hey Zoë! Please come back! Zoë!" But she's already gone.

-Zoë POV-

As soon as I get out of that room, I take off running. I pass a worried Alfie, but I don't care. I just want to be as far away from it as possible.

I speed aimlessly through the hallways, not paying much attention to my surroundings. Tears cloud my vision. I can't take this.

I end up in a bathroom that seems deserted, and sink to the floor. I let myself cry. I punch the walls, continuously asking why.

Why did this have to happen to me? Why can I not be strong enough for Joe? Why does he not remember? Why, why, why.

I start to shake. No, no, no. This cannot be happening. Not here. I start feeling claustrophobic. I feel hot.

I curl up into a ball and will it away. Unfortunately, no matter how hard I try, I can't get it to stop. Tears stream down my face as I try to take deep breaths.

I hear two sets of feet enter the bathroom. One speeds up and is next to me in a jiffy. The other just stops.

"Hey... Zoë...." I hear the familiar voice say. "Just breathe." I nod slowly and focus in harder on my breaths. If I can't be strong for Joe, I'll be strong for Alfie.

-

"I showed him the ring, hoping he'd remember. He didn't. But... why? Surely that was enough?"

Dr. Hadfield thinks for a moment. My eyes wander over this bathroom. It's actually quite gross. But before I can propose going out into the hallway, the doctor starts talking again.

"It might've been too much."

"What?"

"You can't just... force this new knowledge upon someone. It has to come naturally. Perhaps with less extreme triggers. This is probably why he didn't remember Caspar at first... a kiss was too strong."

"W-will he be able to remember after that?" I ask nervously. I almost don't want to hear the answer.

"I don't know. But certainly try to get him to." She gives us a smile half-heartedly.

"Sorry but... can we get out of this bathroom? It's kinda gross..." I ask timidly. Cat just laughs.

-Joe POV-

I hated seeing Zoë sad. It hurt me that she was hurting. It was then I made the decision, I was going to remember. I was going to try really hard to remember.

-----A/N-----

What's this? An update? What's that?

So sorry omf

But I did post a lot of oneshots so hey

I'm in New Jersey right now and I never want to leave. But ofc I have to tomorrow... ;-;

Oh yeah btw sorry for randomly switching POVs mid chapter- I usually never do tht but meh

Whatevs

Also

Welcome to hell week! I hate passover ugh

Like yes the ancient israelis bread didnt have time to rise

But does that really mean you have to force me not to eat any bread for a week?!:!.&:@.

Ugh

QOTD: top ships?

AOTD: Jaspar, phan, troyler, and kalanthony (rip)

Love you❤️

-Rebecca xxo