Chapter 25 - Little Things

Let's take a moment to marvel in this photo's beauty.

-Caspar POV-

I was lying on the couch when I heard rapid knocks on my door. I stand to open it, but Zoë barges in before I get the chance to.

"CASPAR!?" She screams. Immediately I think she has bad news about Joe. But as she continues, I realize it's just the opposite. He had bad news about me.

"Caspar! Oh my god, are you okay?!!" She cries while hugging me. Joe must've showed her our texts.

"I'm fine, Zoë. I was just really depressed about Joe not remembering." I respond.

She pulls away from the hug and looks me in the eyes. "But you didn't..." I just roll my eyes.

"Well obviously not, because I'm standing here talking to you. "

"But your..." She glances down at my wrists. I gulp and divert my eyes. With that, she rolls up my sleeves. She gasps at what she sees.

"Caspar! Oh my god." I pull my arms away and take a deep breath. I try to say something, anything. But I can't.

So I just end up standing there awkwardly, staring off into space. My mind starts to wander, and of course the first thing I think of is Joe.

"How's Joe?" I ask quickly.

"He's doing better." She says with a smile. "But he does seem to be a bit down in the dumps."

My breath quickened. I hope Joe's okay.

"Which is actually part of the reason I came. I want to cheer him up with Mila Kunis, do you know where his poster is?" I laughed out loud. Some things never change.

I showed her downstairs, and into our room. I reached into the wardrobe and pulled out the old rolled up piece of paper.

"Thanks Caspar!" She said cheerily. "And... if you ever wanna talk... I'm just a text away."

And then she left.

-

And then she came back.

I heard her car stop outside and got up to get the door. I opened it to find Zoë with her hand suspended in mid air, just about to knock.

"Oh, hi Caspar. Again." I gave her a small smile.

"Um... I have some news." I felt my heart start to speed up.

"Good or bad?"

"Well... both, really. Good, I'd say." She explained further once she saw my confused expression.

"When I showed Joe the Mila poster, he didn't recognize her at first. Which really scared me, because she's kind of a big thing in his life.

"But then he remembered. All I did was say her name. So, I got the doctor. She said we can revive his memories with certain triggers." By the end of the story, I could see the excited gleam in her eye.

"So, I thought I'd get you to help."

"With what?"

"Well, we need to know everything Joe's lost. And I thought you'd probably know things I don't about his life. That... you know... I wouldn't know..."

She flashes a mischievous smile. I lightly whack her on the head. We laugh for a bit before I agree.

"Of course, Zoë."

-

I look at the list with a knot in my stomach. Seeing Joe again was more difficult than I thought.