nine

june 25, 2020

THE POGUES spent the last 3 days at the beach and exploring. Kie and mel had gone on a hike, and they all went to this cute diner for breakfast the day before. They had planned to leave on the 27th so melody only had two days left to find her dad. Everyone was tired and melody decided today was the day she was gonna go. She grabbed her backpack, made sure she had everything and left without saying a word to everyone. Pope looked at everyone and ran after her. "mel!" he shouted through the hallway of the hotel floor, she turned around and pope ran to her.

"you okay?" he asked. "yeah im fine, why?."

He ignored her question, "where ya going?" he questioned and melody's brain scrambled trying to think of something.

"no where" she blurted and shamed herself internally for saying that.

"melody, i dont know if the others have noticed that youve been off lately, but i have. Whats going on?." melody shrugged and avoided eye contact with him. "i have to go, ill be back later" she rushed away, leaving pope worried and confused.

Melody stared at the house infront of her, she could see cassie washing dishes from the window. She'd been staring for a good 20 minutes, ignoring the little voice in her head to knock on the door. Her phone was buzzing every 5 minutes with texts from pope, jj, kie, and john b wondering where she went. A few minutes later cassie came out of the house with two children and got into her car and left. Melody got out of her car and walked up to the house. She took a deep breath and knocked. "oh god oh god" she kept repeating to herself, now feeling the need to puke. About 20 seconds later the door opened and there he was. Her father. The guy she hasnt seen since she was five. His face went pale and his eyes widened. "m-melody?" he spoke and tears formed in her eyes. "hi dad" she spoke quietly. He quickly shook his head and looked around outside. "did she send you? how did you find me?" he frantically asked and she shook her head. "she doesnt know im here, no one does and i found you on instagram" she chuckled and he sighed out of relief. He pulled her into a hug and they cried. He pulled away and kissed her forehead. "im so sorry" he cried. "i missed you so much" he added and they hugged again. "we need to talk" she said and he nodded and she came inside the house.

They sat on the couch and she explained how she had found him on instagram and then stalked his fiancé. "when you were five, your mother was convinced that i cheated on her and she.. she uh shot me and she thinks i died." he explained and she smiled to herself.

"i found her guns" she added.

"how is she?" he asked and she sighed before talking,

"shes a bitch, shes never home, so i have to take care of jacob most of the time", his face lights up when she mentions him.

"hows jake? hes what 14 now?" he chuckles to himself and then frowns.

"uh hes got a girlfriend, i haven't met her yet, but i think hes okay" she answers and he nods.

"you got a picture of him? i miss him alot?" she pulls out her phone and shows him a picture of jake smiling.

"after you left, mom started hitting us" she says and he puts his head in his hands. "i-im so sorry" he apologizes and she shrugs.

"you guys still live in outerbanks?" he asks and she nods.

"uh, you have a sister and brother.. ari and nathen" she smiles.

"and my fiancé, cassie shes great" he adds and she nods with a smile.

As if on cue, the front door opens and mark's eyes widen.

"uh she knows about you, ill be right back" she nods and he runs towards cassie.

Melody bounces her leg and chews on her nalis until her dad comes back with a suprised cassie. "h-hi im cassie, its really nice to meet you" cassie gives her a small hug. "im melody, nice to meet you."

"i should probably be getting back to the hotel" melody says and they nod.

"when do you leave?" he asks, "the day after tomorrow" she answers.

"what if.. i got you a phone that i could contact you on? he says, "its to risky to use your regular one,".

She wanted to say yes to that, but at the same time she felt bad because she didnt want them spending their money on her.

Mark could see the hesitation on her face, "please, i dont want to lose you again" he pleaded and she nodded.

Cassie grabbed his keys for him and he kissed her and the two got in his car and they drove to costco.

He bought a new SE and added his number and cassie's number just incase. "thank you" she smiled and he nodded with a smile.

"dont tell anyone, like not your brother, not your mom, not anyone, okay?" she nodded and put the phone in her pocket.

On the drive back to his house they talked about melody's life.

He parked his car in the driveway and they both knew that she had to leave now.

Cassie came outside with ari and nathen. "they wanted to meet their sister" she states and melody smiles.

Melody kneels down infront of them and ari jumps into her arms. Tears flow out of melody's eyes and she hugs nathen too. "im ari" ari held her small hand for melody to shake it. Mel chuckles and shakes it. Nathen holds out his fist for a fist-bump and mel bumps her fist with his.

She stands up and hugs cassie again. "if you ever want to come and visit, please do" cassie says and melody nods with tears staining her cheeks. She hugs her dad and he holds her tight. "please call me at least once a week, let me know how things are?" he says and she nods. She wipes her tears and gets in her car. She waves and drives off.