one

Flashback to the first day of fourth grade.
Melody was sitting at her desk when some blonde kid passed her a note. She opened the folded piece of paper and read the words, "wanna be friends?" with a smiley face next to it. She used a blue marker to write "sure :)". She passed it back to him and watched his little dimples show when he smiled. He looked up from the note and shot her a wink. After school the blonde kid chased after melody and introduced himself, "im jj" he greeted and smiled. "im melody" the brown haired girl fist bumped him. "this is john b" a boy with shaggy hair sent her a wave and she smiled at him. "you want to hang out with us?" jj asked nervously. "sure" melody answered and jj wrapped his arm around hers and john b's shoulder and began walking to the chateau as they called it.

June 11, 2020
..MELODY WALKED INTO the chateau and smiled when she saw jj and pope sprawled out on the couch. John b came out from his room when he heard the door open and smiled when he saw melody cleaning up the chateau.

"hey mel" he greeted and walked over and hugged her. "hey jonathan" he groaned at his full name. "mel how many times do i have to ask you to stop calling me that?" he asked and she giggled.

"yeah well i would appreciate it if you didnt call me mel, it sounds like a ginger farm girl" melody tilted her head at him and smirked, he let out a chuckle.

Pope stirred and his eyes opened. "good morning popesicle" he sat up and gave her a hug. "wow two hugs in one day" she fake gasped. "scandalous". The two boys chuckled as she laid on top of jj, wrapping her arms around his waist and her head resting on his shoulder. He groaned, assuming it was john b or pope, but when he smelt her perfume he knew it was his favorite girl. "melody" he said, happy that she was here.

Melody was the type of person who would do anything for someone, even if it got her hurt. She's taken slaps, being slammed into walls, glass broken over her from her mother instead of her younger brother. Shes taken being called a slut, a whore, a disappointment, a hoe, being told she should die all from her mother. The pogues didnt know about her mothers abuse and she planned to keep it that way.
The quinn family included melody, jacob and their mother taylor. Melody is 17, Jacob is 14, and melody forgot how old her mother was. Taylor grew up in California and rich, but she didnt care a lot about her social status on the island. Melody's dad died when she was five. He left for work one day and got hit by a semi truck or so she thought .

"Kie!" melody jumped off jj when kie walked through the chateau door. "melody!" the two girls hugged. "k everyone get ready were taking the hms pogue out in 20 minutes!" john b announced and everyone scrambled around getting ready. Melody made everyone eggs and practically shoved them down their throats. In time everyone was in their swimsuits and were ready. One by one everyone stepped onto the boat. Kie and melody sat next down to eachother while the guys talked about guy stuff. Melody rested her head on kie's shoulder and watched the water move. Kie rested her head against melody's head and did the same. John b drove out to their usual spot in the marsh. Kie got up to get beers and jj looked at melody and he went and sat next to her. "hi jay" he smiled. He switched positions to where his head was now in her lap so she could play with his hair. She chuckled and played with blonde locks. Kie put her hand over her heart and fake cried.
"he took my spot! what will i ever do" she put the back of her hand against her forehead and flopped next to pope, everyone giggled at her antics.
Kie and pope were the first ones in the water, john b followed. Jj grabbed melody's hand and took her shirt off that was over her bikini and they jumped in together. Melody came out from the water and laughed. She felt a splash from behind her and john b was smirking. "jonathan your dead!" she threatened and he laughed as she chased him through the water. She caught up with him and jumped on his back while splashing water in his face.
"okay okay!" john b laughed and she stopped. Melody looked up when she felt drops of water fall on her and john b. "its raining" pope announced. "okay lets go im hungry" john b swam onto the boat with melody on his back. Everyone got onto the boat and jb drove the boat back to the chateau. The teens dried off and changed into different clothes.

Melody's phone buzzed next to pope. "mel someone texted you" pope shouted through the chateau and melody came out from the bathroom smiling.

"thanks pope" she said and picked up her phone.

It was a text from Jacob saying that taylor just left for the mainland for a week. "thank god" she mumbled and pope raised his eyebrow.

"my moms gone for the week" she said happily and he smiled.

"whos gone for a week?" jj asked and sat down next to pope. "my mom" jj nodded.

"im gonna go home, hang out with jake" melody put her shoes on and jj jumped up. "you wanna come?" mel asked and he nodded with a smile. "bye guys" jj yelled and everyone waved. The two got in Melody's jeep. Jj stole mels phone and went to the playlist he made for them.

The two have always had a weird relationship. Jj always had a little crush on the girl. She was one of the prettiest girls on the island, maybe even the prettiest. Her freckles complimented her skin nicely, her green eyes popped, her dark hair matching it. Jj loved everything about her. But he always pushed those feelings away when she would cuddle with john b or be touchy with pope, oh or when they would be out somewhere and he sees other guys checking her out. Now, on melody's side she hated hearing girls talk about their one night stands with the blonde, or seeing him check out other girls. She had thought about what her and jj would look like and she liked it, but she pushed her feelings down for the sake of the years of friendship.
Melody wasnt the best talking about her feelings, it made her feel weak and dumb. She hated crying infront of other people, it made her feel vulnerable.