Contemplative

Geralt Pov (17 years ago)

I walked into a small town where I had just saved the mayor. He led me to his home where he said he'd give me the first thing he found when he got home, that he wasn't expecting. That would turn out to be one of the newly indentured servants, a young boy his wife had taken in from an orphanage. They didn't have to pay the orphans so the house was swimming with them, and this boy with h/c hair and e/c eyes was the new addition.

"You there boy" the mayor shouts, the young boy turns around suddenly and drops the empty bucket he was holding.

"You will go with this man, gather your things" the mayor demands but the boy doesn't move.

"What is wrong with you?" the mayor asks. "Go get your stuff"

"I don't have anything sir," the boy squeaks out.

"Well that should make your travels easy, off you go" the mayor then walks away after pushing myself and the young boy out of the house.

The boy looks up to me from behind his long locks and sort of steps back in fear.

"Don't worry, I'm not going to hurt you. What is your name?" I ask.

"Y/n, s-sir"

"y/n. My name is Geralt of Rivia, I'm a witcher" I say and the boy looks confused.

"You're gonna come with me, you'll be safe, and together we'll make you stronger than that coward of a mayor could ever hope to be, sound good?" I ask and the boy nods.

Geralt Pov (Current time)

I stood up from looking at the log from the scout, I knew where I had to go now, but first I was gonna head to the Tavern Yenn had told me Y/n was frequently spotted in, I didn't know how the interaction would go if I found him there, it could end very badly, or go very well. The point is I just need to get him to help me find Ciri.

I knew the two loved each other, the way they looked at each other told me everything I had to know, but why they never told each other I'll never know.

Timeskip

Arriving at the very small village I walked into the worn down building, I had seen enough taverns to know this was one. Upon entering the dimly lit room, I see an old man working the counter, a few patrons but no witcher, so I approach the old man.

"Another witcher? Aren't we lucky" the man says looking at me "what can I do for ye sir?"

"I'm looking for that other witcher, any idea where he is?" I ask.

The man shrugs "went out this morning, walked east into the swamp, some folk say he's on a drowner contract"

"Any idea when he usually returns?"

"Probably soon, he always walks in just after midday, then uses his coin he earned to drink and eat, then just passes out and repeats" the old man says.

I nod my head and just place a few coins down.

"Two ales, send him to me once he walks in" I say and the old man nods, before giving me the ales.

Sitting down I just stare into the wooden table, thinking back to the simpler days. Y/n was always trying to prove himself to me and Yennefer and all the other witchers and sorceresses. He wasn't a child of the elderblood, nor was he outstanding in any way, and that ate away at him, he never got jealous of Ciri, but he did have a never dying desire to prove he was better then anyone had thought of him. Triss had of course loved y/n like a little brother to her, while the other sorceresses and sorcerers were fairly indifferent to him, except for Philippa. I had always been weary of her, but she ended up being Y/n's primary teacher, she would actually visit Kaer Morhen just to spend time with him, at first Yennefer and I thought she was up to something, but to our shock she was genuinely just talking to him, like a aunt to her nephew or a teacher to her favorite student. But despite the love he received, y/n still pushed himself. For no reason, we didn't think he was weak, none of us did. We all knew he would go on to do great things. I'm taken out of my thoughts when I hear the door swing open.

I watch has a witcher walks in, two swords, wearing what I recognise is the manticore gear, and a wolf medallion around his neck, the old man points to me and the mans orange-yellowish eyes land on me, his once h/c hair was now snow white like mine, his though was short. Y/n frowns and goes to walk out, but I quickly stand and walk out following him.

"Y/n wait" I say.

He doesn't respond and starts untying his horse.

"Y/n!" I walk up next to him and grab his arm roughly.

"I need your help, I know you're still angry, but if you still care about Ciri you'll listen to me" I tell him and he stops and turns to me.

"She's back Y/n, and the wild hunt is after her. Will you hear me out?" I say. He stares at me and I stare back, before he sighs and walks back into the Tavern.

I'll take that as a win.