Chapter 36

Thank you for 40k reads :)

*.*.*.

Hope's pov

I race out of the coffee shop's doors to chase after Katherine.

She gets in a sleek black car, and begins to drive. Soon, she nears the familiar sign that says, 'Welcome to Mystic Falls'.

The car pulls to a stop in front of a large house.

Katherine marches inside, but when she opens the house's back door, everything turns hazy. A loud noise begins to reverberate in the back of my skull, and so much fog floods into my view that I can't even see what's in front of my face.

What's going on?

In the distance, I can hear a faint voice speaking.

"You grab Hope, I'll maintain the barrier spell and keep it intact as we walk."

Is that Josie's voice?

"Who the hell are you?" Katherine says. 

Her voice sounds so far away, but that can't be right. Katherine should be standing right in front of me.

But of course.

The memory wiping spell that I cast, right before the Saltzman twins and I left 2011.

It erased our existence from the collective conscience, which is why I'm having such a hard time trying to relive Katherine's memories in this moment.

"Uh. What's that?" I hear Lizzie say.

A crumpling sound indicates that Katherine has just hidden the letter behind her back.

"Who the hell are you?" her obscure voice calls out once more.

"I- I work for Klaus... You're not Elena, you're Katherine," Lizzie says.

The vision is lurched to the side as Katherine begins to run.

"Hey- Hey!" Lizzie shouts after her.

"What do you think was in that letter?" says Josie's vague voice.

"Not sure," Lizzie replies. "Hopefully it wasn't anything too important."

I finally pull myself out Katherine's memories. I glance down, and see that Katherine is still sleeping at my feet.

I dust off my hands, and stand up. I know everything now. Katherine's letter is the final point that ties my whole storyline together.

All I have to do now is get to Freya's coffin, go back to 2011, and make sure that my dad receives Katherine's message.

After that, all will be well.

Lizzie's pov

I open my eyes to find a bunch of worried faces staring back at me. My mom, my dad, Stefan, Josie, and MG.

"Lizzie... Are you okay?" MG asks me first.

"I..." I hesitate. I slowly begin to remember what happened in the gym. How I screamed out that I didn't want to be a vampire right before I passed out.

"Guys, can I talk to Lizzie for a moment? Alone?" Josie asks.

"Yeah, please," I say in a hollow voice.

At my request, the rest of them all leave, allowing me to talk to Josie in privacy.

"Lizzie- I'm so sorry," Josie says.