Chapter 38

I apologize in advance for how short this chapter is :D

I've been building up to a major event ever since a few chapters ago, and this is when that even happens :)

*****

Lizzie's pov

"Come, Aya," Elijah stands up. "Let us go get prepared for a meeting with my brother, shall we?"

Elijah leaves. Aya follows behind him, but not before placing a strange artifact on the ground in front of the door. When she leaves, the door snaps shut on its own. I hear the familiar hum of magic, indicating that this magical artifact has just sealed us in this room using a strong spell.

Two seconds pass by in stunned silence.

Josie suddenly squirms around in her seat, moving this way and that, until the ropes tying her wrists in place let loose with a snap. I glance her way, and see that she managed this feat by siphoning up the magic in Tristan's blood, which splattered everywhere when I impaled him with that chair.

She hurries over to Hope. After Josie frees her from the magic dampening cuffs on her arms, the two of them rush over to me.

"Oh my god," Hope says in a shaky voice.

Josie immediately gets to work ripping off the chains that still have me attached to the chair, but Hope... She just stares at me in shock and horror, as if at a loss for what to do.

"I'm so sorry," Hope whispers, when I'm finally free from my bonds. "Lizzie, I..."

She falters when she sees that multiple teardrops are spilling out of my eyes. 

I begin to cry, letting out everything from this night's events. The despair that I was feeling, the anguish, the misery... The fear that I was going to die...

Hope takes me into her arms without a word, and I lean into her shoulder as I let all of the pent up emotions escape me. I keep going until there aren't any tears left to cry anymore. 

Yet even still, my heart aches unlike any pain I've ever felt before. The things I've had to go through in the past few days... It's more than anything anyone should ever have to endure in an entire lifetime.

I'm just a kid. I'm just a kid, who was killed at the hands of the most infamous villain in all of history. I was never even allowed a chance to cope with being turned into a vampire. It was just one disaster after the next, meaning I never got to stop and think for even a moment, about what this new change would mean for my life.

I remember how my mom told me the story of how she turned, while we were in that cell with Katherine. I thought I was stuck in a situation extremely similar to hers- We were both killed and turned into vampires against our wills.

But now that I think about it... Our circumstances were nothing alike.

The only problem that my mom had to deal with after she turned was learning how to cope with vampirism. But me? On top of the usual adjusting issues that come with becoming a vampire, I've had to deal with psychotic murderers, time traveling phenomenons, not to mention Elijah Mikaelson, who was more than willing to torture the hell out of me for answers.

I'm frustrated, I'm sad, I'm angry, I'm miserable. I feel utterly useless and helpless right now. So many emotions are crowding my brain in a thunderstorm of chaos. They're pounding against my brain so hard that my skull is begging to be cracked open, if only to let some of the intensity escape.

What I need is to make it all disappear. I need my feelings to go away.

I need to turn it off.