Chapter 62

Ten Years Later.

Hope's Pov

The world is everchanging. Our smallest choices, our most trivial of actions, can alter the future drastically. When one of those choices is undone, a whole new world can be derived.

My family, the oldest, most powerful beings in the world, spent one thousand years affecting history without even realizing it. They shaped the reality that we live in today.

And exactly ten years ago, I affected history, too. I rewrote it, and created what at first glance seemed to be the reality I've always dreamed of.

But I don't regret having removed the alternate world from our timeline. One's happiness shouldn't be thought of as true when it has been made at the expense of others.

And besides, I've found my true happiness now. My dream life, which may be flawed in several points... But it's still real. And I will cherish every moment of it, for the rest of my immortal days.

*****

"Tell me why it only feels like yesterday that you and I were having a screaming match right over there, by the lake?" Lizzie nods to the crystal blue waters in front of the Salvatore Boarding School for the Young and Gifted.

"It means you're getting old, Lizzie," I smirk at her.

"Please. Twenty eight isn't old," she scoffs.

We spend a few more seconds reminiscing about our teenage years. And then, Lizzie and I turn around simultaneously, our vampire hearing having picked up on the sound of footsteps heading our way.

"Look at you," Lizzie says, sounding genuinely impressed. "Little Josie Saltzman, in a pantsuit? Never thought I'd see the day."

"That's what happens when one becomes the headmistress of a supernatural school," Josie grins.

"So dad's actually going to retire, then?" Lizzie asks.

"He's leaving the school in good hands. And you've got to admit, he's been through more than any human should in a lifetime," Josie says.

"And Caroline?" I ask.

"Same as always. Advisor to the school. I join her and Elena Gilbert every weekend for drinks," Josie replies. Then she shakes her head and smiles. "What about you two? You guys haven't aged a day since we saw each other last."

"Well, duh," Lizzie rolls her eyes, and I laugh.

Lizzie and Josie begin to walk around the lake, excitedly talking to one another. I fall back behind them, and think about everything that happened in the past week.

I visited New Orleans a few nights ago. Things are the same as ever: Uncle Kol and Aunt Davina are madly in love with one another, as are Aunt Rebekah and Marcel. I taught a few new spells to Aunt Freya and Keelin's son, Nik. I visited my parents' and Uncle Elijah's grave, and laid a bouquet of flowers there, as I do every single month. Then I made Lizzie join us as we all had dinner. We talked and smiled and laughed like a perfect, harmonic family.

Who would have thought? The Mikaelsons: One big, happy family.

"You guys are going back to Europe tomorrow, then?" Josie asks.

"We're taking a little break from Europe. I'm not really looking forward to nearly getting decapitated again," Lizzie states matter-of-factly.

"So where, then?" Josie says.