Chapter 31

Hope's pov

 I stare at him. Does he seriously expect me to ignore everything that just happened?

"Hang on- I have to go do something really quick," my mom says, "It'll only be a minute."

She races off to the old section of the Abattoir.

"What's going on with her?" I wonder with a frown. Then I shake my head. "Dad, where's Lizzie?" I ask.

"I sent her back home," he replies.

"But- but I never even got to say goodbye," I say, "Why did-"

"She and Caroline were in a bit of a rush, seeing as your mother locked them up in a cell that hasn't been visited by anyone but me in seventeen years," my dad says in a nonchalant manner.

"What?" I blurt out.

"Yes, I suspect that's where Hayley's run off to," my dad nods to the direction that my mom headed towards. 

I sit down on the edge of the empty fountain and let out a muffled groan. What the hell am I supposed to do now? With the twins six states away from me, how are we even supposed to come up with a plan to-

"Um," my mom says, as she slowly walks out of the Abattoir building's front doors. She hesitantly moves towards us with her hands in her pockets, averting my dad's gaze as she does so.

"Caroline and Lizzie- You knew, didn't you?" she says to him, as she sits down between us.

"I did," my dad replies calmly.

"And- And you didn't say anything? You're not mad?" she asks.

My dad gives a little shrug. "I'm sure you had your reasons."

"But," my mom says, as if she can't understand what's going on, "You told me to leave Caroline alone, but I didn't, and- Klaus, whenever anyone goes against your orders, their body parts end up littering the Mississippi, so why-"

"You're not just 'anyone', now are you, love?" my dad says to her. "Besides, no one was hurt. Everything is fine."

An awkward silence fills the air before my mom begins to talk again. "God, what's wrong with me?" she says, as she buries her head in her hands.

"Nothing is wrong with you," my dad says.

I just stare at the two of them, marveling at how quickly the situation turned from me needing to talk to my parents, to having Klaus Mikaelson, of all people, try to comfort his emotional wife who is on the verge of a mental breakdown.

God, this really is a strange world.

"I don't even know why I always get so irrational whenever Caroline is involved," my mom says, as she leans her head against my dad's shoulder, "It's just..." she shuts her eyes, and takes in a deep breath, as preparing to say something important.

"I act like bitch all the time to make myself feel like I'm better than them," she says in a hollow voice.

"Them?" my dad asks.

"Caroline. Aurora. Tatia. Genevieve," my mom lists. "Come on, Klaus. You and I both know you never would have given me a second glance had it not been for Hope," my mom says as she makes an attempt at a laugh. 

It comes out more like the sound of someone being strangled, instead.

"Is that what you really think?" my dad says.

"Oh, come on!" my mom exclaims. "I'd just be another one of those wolves susceptible to your briberies, were it not for the simple fact that you knocked me up in Mystic Falls all those years ago-"