The Unexpected

*Mel's POV*

*Monday*

I'm laying in a hospital bed. I don't know when I fell asleep, but my dreams seemed to be about Niko. In my dream he was sad and begged me to forgive him. It was sorta funny because I'm not mad at Niko, hell if anything I'm more confused. Why did he try scaring Reese away from me? Did Niko know something I didn't? My head is pounding and my voice is hoarse from screaming. Maybe I should straight out ask Reese if he's my mate. I wanted him to be.

I jump when I realize Kayley is staring at me. She has all types of worry in her face. She had been crying too. I raise up, but she pushes me back down, letting out a deep breath.

"The police picked Niko up a little after the accident. My dad didn't try to save him. Niko left willingly." Kayley sighs. Wait a sec-Niko is in jail? I stay quiet, not knowing what to say.

"The doctor wants to make sure you're okay. Something about being traumatized or something." She rolls her eyes. I lean forward a little, looking around my room. His scent is everywhere. I scrunch my nose inhaling it all in. Kayley glares at me, rage entering her voice. She read my mind.

"Reese is at home. The doctors released him about an hour ago." Kayley turns her back to me. "He wanted to check on you before he left." She takes a deep breath. She starts to walk out, but she turns around as she takes one good look at me. She frowns. Then continues walking out the door. She probably thinks its my fault that Niko is in jail. I feel so bad because part of it is my fault.

Alpha Noah comes in next, he's smiling, rattling a bag of chips. My stomach growls. They look delicious. He hands the bag to me. I quickly open it, tasting the salt and starch all over my tongue. Yum.

"Your dad told me these were your favorite kind. He also gave me this and told me to tell you that he's sorry he couldn't be here."Alpha Noah smirks handing me the book I was about to read before all this stuff started to happen. I smile back at him-devouring another chip. (They are original ruffles by the way). Alpha Noah sits down in the chair beside my bed, opening his newspaper. He starts to read.

"Where is my dad, anyway?" I mutter, looking for him. I see Kayley come back in, she sits beside her dad, grabbing a magazine.

"He's at the police station, persuading Niko to become one of his clients. Your dad is a damn good lawyer, but when it comes to the people of this pack-he's a damn fool. You break the law, you do the time. Your father isn't going to be here forever. Niko needs to get what's coming to him." Alpha Noah protests, leaning his head over his paper.

I cringe at his name. Every time I ear it I see Reese's bloody face. I turn my head to the window, looking at the sun . I need to clear my head. Could this doctor be any slower?

Speak of the devil.

The doctor has sliver colored hair, pale blue eyes and worry lines stretched over his face. Even though his face is withered with age, a smile still seems to creep through.

"So you're the famous Melinda Triggs. I'm Dr. Clint Macomb. I heard you might be a little traumatized from a fight that went on earlier today. I heard it was pretty gruesome." Mr. Macomb flashed a smile at me. He's handsome for an old guy-I guess.

"You heard wrong, I feel just fine." I reply, finishing off my chips.

"That's great. I'll get your release papers ready so that you can be on your way." Clint laughed, walking out the door. I waited this long just to see him for 30 seconds....Whatever.

Kayley got a call on her cell phone. She leaves the room to take it which is strange. Nothing is private when it comes to us. She always answered her phone in front of me.

It doesn't take long for Dr. Macomb to get my release papers. I leave the hospital with Alpha Noah and Kayley about 5 minutes later. Alpha Noah drops me off at home. When I walk through the door, my dad is on the couch in his boxers and a tank top. He's sound asleep. I smile at him as I walk to the kitchen. That bag of chips made me hungrier than I had been originally. My eyes weren't prepared for the figure standing in front of the fridge.

Niko.

My mind goes blank. My feet stop working. I try moving, but my body won't allow it. So I stand there-looking straight into his beautiful grey eyes. This is the worst day of m life.