Chapter 24: Close Call

Pairings: Aaron Hotchner x fem!Reader

Characters: Aaron Hotchner, Emily Prentiss, Jennifer "JJ" Jareau, Penelope Garcia, Spencer Reid, Derek Morgan, David Rossi

Words: 1.6K

Summary: A beautiful ring cuts the tension of a work-related injury

Warnings: hospitals, injury

--

Reaching your hand in the bag you pulled out a small black velvet box and your eyes went wide. You looked up at the team, trying to sense their reactions to what you had found, but they were all looking away and that could only mean one thing.

"You all knew?!"

The team all shyly started to nod their heads, turning into a ramble of explanations about how each one came to find out about it, but you waved your hand up at them to quiet down.

"So that's why you guys were always looking at me like that," you mimicked what their faces had looked like for the past few weeks and Emily nodded her head as an answer for the whole group. "I-I can't believe it, and now he's in the middle of surgery,"

"Which he'll pull through from," Spencer threw in and you nodded.

"Thank God for that, right?" you sighed and sat down in your seat, rubbing your temples.

Emily sat down next to you and offered some source of distraction to pass the time until they had moved Aaron to a recovery room and you could go stay with him.

The doctor came back a while later to inform you that everything had gone well with the surgery and that he'd just need to take a little time off to heal up.

"He's going to hate that," you muttered to Emily.

"Well, good luck with that," she chuckled. "Now I think you should go talk to your finance,"

"How did you know-,"

"That you were going to say yes? (Y/N), it's been obvious ever since the case. You two were meant for each other,"

"Wish me luck then, it would be a shame if I killed him before the wedding," you joked and Emily smiled, patting your back and pushing you towards the doctor who was going to lead you to Aaron's room.

When you got there he was still asleep under the anesthetic, but he looked peaceful, and not in pain despite both of his injuries.

"I'll give you some time but call me a bit after he wakes up and I'll go over how you guys should be taking care of the wounds while they're healing,"

"Of course," you nodded and the doctor left the room.

You pulled a chair up close to the bed and reached for his hand. His pointer finger was clasped to the monitor, checking his pulse and the rhythmic beep of the machine, for once, was soothing as you waited for the drugs to slowly wear off and for him to wake up.

It could have been about an hour or so afterwards when you felt his fingers start to shift in your hands and his eyes fluttered open.

"Hey there my little federal agent," you teased. "Bad guy got you today, huh?"

"Yeah, a little bit," he nodded and blinked hard a few times before carefully taking his hand out of yours so he could stretch and sit himself up.

"Are you in any pain?" you asked.

"No, painkillers are still working," he nodded.

You took a deep breath and sat back in your chair.