Chapter 2: This Is Why I Stayed

Pairings: Aaron Hotchner x fem!Reader

Characters: Aaron Hotchner, Mr. Ricardo (OC), Derek Morgan, Jeffery Reilly (OC), Emily Prentiss, Spencer Reid, Lorraine Barnes (OC), Liz Hotchner (OC-ish)

Words: 3K

Chapter Summary: After finding out who the police's number-one suspect is, Hotch is determined to do some digging to get to the truth

Warnings: None :)

--

Mr. Ricardo's chemistry class, notoriously difficult and the class Aaron was most determined to get an A in.

The walls were adorned with periodic tables and quotes from Einstein. Mr. Ricardo's handwriting was messy on the board, but Aaron had practice reading such things after helping his brother every day after school with his homework.

First day of the semester, the leftover sun was shining from the summer, trees lightly blowing in the Virginian wind and he couldn't believe he was already being tortured with a partner project, great.

He listened carefully as his teacher listed the names in pairs until he reached his own saying,

"Aaron Hotchner and (Y/N) (L/N),"

There was a scrape of a seat against the ground as you pushed your chair back, grabbing your bag and tossing it down under the desk across from your partner, pulling up and chair and sitting in it.

He wasn't going to help you get a good grade, you knew that much for sure.

Funny, he was thinking the same thing about you.

Mr. Ricardo explained the project and you both avidly listened, taking notes when needed and highlighting important things in the rubric.

After he finished, he gave you the rest of the class to complete the project, it should have been handed in by the end of the day.

"Alright so clearly we need to start with the acids on this side," you stated plainly and the boy in front of you frowned.

"No, I'm pretty sure we're supposed to start with this equation here," he motioned to his paper.

"I don't think so," you shook your head. "Look in the instructions Hotchner or do you have difficulty reading? I heard you're a few levels below average for sophomore year,"

Ouch, that stung.

"Really? Cause I heard you failed the critical thinking portion of your standard assessment so maybe you really shouldn't be the one calling the shots," he fired back.

"You know what, why don't we just do the project ourselves, then we can really see who's right," you said cooly.

"With pleasure," he nodded and you both refused to even speak a single word to each other throughout the rest of the class.

In the end, you both confidently handed in your papers and went your separate ways thinking you'd never have to interact with one another again.

Oh how terribly wrong you were.

The next day after class before the bell rang Mr. Ricardo pulled you both aside.

"Aaron, (Y/N), look," he sighed your assignments placed in front of him. "I honestly don't know what to tell you but you both missed the point of the assignment completely, I can't give these passing grades,"