Chapter 15: She's gone - Present time

Cora's POV

I looked at Rose. She was smiling at me. I smiled back at her. "Do you remember that?" I asked. "When we visited our house for the very first time?"

She tilted her head to the side. She was clearly trying to remember, but failed.

"It's ok," I said before waiting for her to say she couldn't remember. "We'll go over that some other time."

She slowly nodded.

I sighed.

"Can you continue the story?" She asked, she was so eager to hear the rest. It was nice to see that but I often wondered if she realized it was our real-life story...

I looked at her. "I'm actually hungry," I said, getting up. "Is it ok if I go to the cafeteria for a meal?"

She looked at me, she seemed to think about something but nodded.

"Thanks," I took my purse. "I'll be right back."

She slowly nodded.

I left the room and let out a deep breath. I don't know what it is but I can't take it anymore. Lately, it's been so hard to be around her... It's so frustrating and so disappointing to try to get through to her without any results... Sometimes I ask myself: why do I keep trying?

I got to the cafeteria and took a sandwich. I could've easily taken it back to Rose's room but decided not to. I sat down at a table and tried to enjoy my lunch by myself. I wasn't really paying attention to what was going on around me, I just enjoyed the peace.

"Hey."

I looked up, a woman was standing in front of me. "Hello."

She walked to me. "I've seen you around here quite often."

I nodded.

She looked at me, it was quite clear she was trying to make conversation with me.

"I've been visiting someone."

"Oh," She said. "I hope everything is alright with them."

I sighed.

"That bad?"

I looked at her. "They lost their memories... I keep trying to get through to them but it seems impossible..."

Without asking for my permission, she took a seat in front of me. "I'm sorry to hear that," She looked apologetic at me. "So what have you tried to help them remember?"

I sat up, I felt a bit uncomfortable at her questions. Mostly because I didn't know this woman. I wondered where and how she had seen me. "Uhm," But, despite that, I replied. "I tell them everything that has happened with us and with them. I'm hoping to trigger something so they might remember things again."

She nodded. "That's a good idea."

"Thanks," I smiled a bit at her. "So, how about you?" I asked, trying desperately to get the spotlight off me.

"Well, I'm here to visit a friend," She simply stated. "She just gave birth."

I nodded.

She nodded too.

"Well, I should get going," I said, getting up in the process. "I shouldn't leave them for too much longer."

The woman nodded. "I'll see you around."

"Yeah," I smiled awkwardly. "Maybe..." I then rushed back to Rose's room. On my way over, I kept wondering where this mysterious woman may have seen me. And why would she suddenly talk to me? I found it odd.