Chapter 14: Our very own house - Age 23

Cora's POV

I sighed as I poured more wine into our glasses. I then put the wine bottle away and sighed again. I looked in front of me, at nothing in particular, and wondered. I wondered why things weren't going much easier for us. In every movie or tv show, things always seem to go so easy. Why can't it go the same way for us?

I sighed once more before taking the two glasses of wine and walking back to the living room, to Rose. "And?" I asked her as I sat down next to her on the couch. "Found anything?"

She shook her head. "Nothing that really stood out," She then looked at me. "Maybe we have to lower our expectations...?"

I frowned.

"I know..." She said, immediately understanding my facial expression. "I'm not a fan either but we find nothing..."

"May I?" I asked, referring to the laptop on her lap.

She nodded and handed it to me, she then took the glass of wine and took a sip.

I started looking over all the houses for sale. I just knew there had to be one. Our dream house had to be somewhere. It just had to.

Rose scooted closer to me, resting her head on my shoulder. "Maybe we should take a break?"

I sighed.

She looked at me. "Baby," She sighed. "I know it's frustrating but it's out of our grasp..."

I sighed again.

She seemed to understand I wasn't really giving up because she put her head back down and let me look some more.

____________________________

The next couple of days, we went over every website, every article, every advertisement to find a house. I could tell Rose was slowly feeling down because we weren't finding anything. I was feeling down too but I really wanted to find something. Maybe I was getting desperate...?

We did find some places that somewhat matched our wishes, so we went by those houses. Unfortunately, none of them matched...

I was laying on the couch, going over every website possible to find a house. I realized this was my free time now. It's quite sad...

"Hey Cora," Anthony entered the house, he still had his work attire on. "Cora?" He walked to me. "Cora?"

I glanced at him. "Yes?" I said, barely paying attention to him.

I heard him sigh before sitting down on the coffee table that was next to me. He didn't say anything anymore, he just sat there.

For the next couple of minutes, I didn't really pay attention to him until he closed my laptop. "Hey," I looked at him. "I was busy!"

He raised his eyebrows. "I was waiting."

I sighed and sat up. "What?"

He gave me a look. I could tell he wasn't pleased with my attitude.

I sighed. "Ok," I paused. "I'm sorry," I eventually said. "I'm just so frustrated that we don't find a house."

"I know," He looked at me, suddenly a small smile appeared on his face. "That's why I'm here."

I raised my eyebrows. 

"My boss bought a new house and he's going to move," He said. "When he told me, I told him you were looking for a house too," He said, making me nod. "So I've arranged for you and Rose to visit the house this afternoon."

I smiled then. "That's so nice of you," I got up then, he got up too. "Thank you so much." I hugged him then.

"Of course." He hugged me back.

____________________________

That afternoon, I drove Rose and me to the location of the house. I was curious to see the house but, at the same time, I didn't want to have high hopes. Rose and I had visited so many houses and none were good.

Rose looked at the houses in the neighborhood. "These look expensive," She then looked at me. "I don't think this house will be in our price range..."

I glanced at Rose. "I don't know," I looked back at the road. "But Anthony arranged this for us, the least we could do is look."

In the corner of my eyes, I could see she nodded.

"I do wonder how it'll look like," I glanced at Rose again. "I keep hoping that this house will be the one."

Rose showed me a small smile. "Let's hope so."

We arrived at the location Anthony gave us. We got out of the car and stood in front of the house. 

"Are you sure this is it?" Rose looked in awe at the house. 

I was surprised too. "Apparently," I looked at Rose. "This is the address Anthony gave me."

"Wow..." She said.

I nodded. "Come on," I took her hand. "Let's take a look."

We walked to the front door. I rang the doorbell and waited. "I'm nervous." Rose said.

"It's ok," I looked at her. "We'll just take a look and then go on."

She nodded.

The front door opened. A man looked at us. "You must be Cora," He said to me. "Anthony has shown me some pictures of you and Miles."

I smiled. "Nice to meet you."

He shook my hand before looking at Rose.

"This is Rose," I said. "My girlfriend."

He shook her hand before moving aside. "This is the house Anthony and I were talking about. It's not on the market yet so if you two are interested, you've got the first pick."

I looked at him. "Thank you for the opportunity."

He smiled a bit. "Take a look. I'll be right here if you have questions."

Rose and I nodded at him and started walking around the house. We saw the kitchen, the living room, the garage, then we went upstairs and saw all the bedrooms and bathroom.

We were standing in an almost empty room. Rose sighed. "This would be perfect for us."

I wrapped my arms around her from behind. "I agree," I let out a breath. "This could be a room for our kids."

Rose giggled.

"And then the big room is for us."

"It's perfect," She walked out of my embrace and to the window. "Cora, look," She pointed outside. I walked to her and looked outside. "There's a garden too," She then turned around and looked at me. "Could you imagine our kids playing there?"

I smiled at her before wrapping my arms around her. "It's perfect."

She nodded.

The man entered the room. "How's it going?" He walked to us. "Did you check out the whole house?"

I looked at Rose and saw her smile at me. I then looked at him. "It's perfect." I repeated.

He smiled. "So... You two take it?"

I looked at Rose again before looking at the man. "We do."