Chapter 32 - GRC meeting

Sorry guys I rushed this chapter.

———————————————

Bucky and I were walking through the crowd towards the locked down GRC meeting, Karli was planning an attack and causing panic everywhere.

It all ends tonight.

"I'm almost there." Sam says through comms.

"What's the plan?" I ask.

"Karli's gotta be close. Keep your eyes open."

"Well, it could be anybody." Bucky sighs.

"Sergeant Barnes." A man nods at both of us as he moves a barricade aside 

"And by the way, I called in some backup."

"Excuse me.  Are you supposed to be here?" A man stops us. They take off a device on their face to reveal its Sharon. "It's me."

"Sharon, what the hell are you doing here?" I ask.

"Relax. No one's looking for me here."

"Do I hear Sharon?" Sam asks.

"Unfortunately." I sigh.

"Hey, Sam. I thought I'd get the band back together."

"Thank you. You're risking a lot coming here." Sam says.

"I hear pardons aren't all they're cracked up to be anyway."

"Depends on the therapist." Bucky nods.

"They'll move on the building soon. Be ready."

Sharon nods at us and we start walking towards the building, I keep an eye out. "It's impossible to tell who's side these people are on." I sigh, "No one seems out of place."

"Guys what's going on on your end?" Sam asks.

"Nothing. All quiet."

"No one's moving toward the building." Sharon says as we approach the front doors.

"Karli's not coming in. She's trying to force everybody out....It's a misdirect. We gotta keep everybody inside. You guys are gonna have to do something. Don't let 'em out of the building."

We rush inside, the metal detectors beep as Bucky and I go through them. "Oops." Sharon smirks.

"Here's one of them. We'll get the evac." I roll my eyes as Bucky follows me.

Suddenly a woman approaches me, "Mrs Barnes, it's Karli." She hands me the phone.

"Why the hell would she want to talk to me?" I frown and put the phone to my ear. "Karli?"

"Aren't you tired of fighting for the wrong side Mrs Barnes?"

I scoff, "I've done this before, kid. I know how it ends."

"It doesn't matter if I don't survive this. I'm fighting for something bigger than myself. With all the bodies you both have collected, have you been able to say the same?"

"You don't think we've ever fought for something bigger than ourselves? That's all we ever tried to do. And we failed twice." I sigh as I walk down the stairs. "You think your cause justifies all this death, but in the end, the nightmares won't go away. You're gonna remember all the ones you killed. Trust me. Don't do this. Don't go down this path."

"If that's how you feel, you should sit this one out. You don't wanna get yourself killed with the babies on the way."

I stop and pause for a moment. "Come on, you know I ain't gonna do that. Don't worry about my life, worry about yours."