Chapter 29 - Favor

We walk down the street as Sam gets a call. He quickly gets angry, "She said what? Right. Hold on, hold on. I know, I know. Listen, pack an overnight bag and take the boys."

"What happened?" I ask.

"Karli called Sarah. She threatened my nephews. Okay. Go somewhere safe. Only pay cash. All right? Tell me when you arrive. I know. Look, I love you. I'll never let anything happen to you and the boys. Okay. Bye." Sam stops and turns to us. "Karli wants to meet. She left a contact number." His phone chimes, "She said come alone."

"We're coming with you." I nod.

We suit up and find the location, Bucky and I stand back as Sam approaches her. "Karli! You called my sister? That's how we're gonna play this?"

"I would never hurt her. I wanted to understand you better. I see you, um, didn't come alone." She stares at Bucky and I.

"You have to end this now."

"I don't wanna hurt you. You're a tool in the regimes I want to destroy. You're not hiding behind a shield. If I were to kill you, it'd be meaningless. I was gonna ask you to join me. Or do the world a favor and let me go."

Sam pauses and looks down at his wrist, he then turns to us. "It's walker." I leap off the ledge, Karli follows and kicks me down. I spin around and punch her into the wall. "I'll send you the location, go!" Sam flies off.

Bucky and I run into traffic, quickly turning the corner to to see a large building. "There." Bucky points. I crash into a window, pulling my batons out and rushing through the building.

Suddenly a man kicks me down, Bucky grabs his neck and throws him back. I leap forward and hit him with my baton, electrocuting his side. I duck under his punch and kick his chest, sending him flying into the wall. "Stay down." I mutter, turning and running with Bucky.

We rush into a room where John, Lemar, and Sam were fighting. I form my Batons into a staff and smack a woman with them, I flip above a knife as it flies past, grabbing it and stopping it from stabbing Sam. "Your welcome." I mutter to him as I flip around to see Karli kicking Lemar into a pillar.

He slumps down and doesn't move as John runs over to him, "Hey. Hey. Hey. Lemar. Lemar." Karli stares in shock, she then turns and quickly runs off. Bucky grabs my hand and pulls me with him, I look back at Lemar sadly.

We stop in the middle of a crowd as we see John slam the shield onto a man's chest, he stands up and holds the bloody shield against him.

John had then run off, we tracked him into an abandoned building where he was talking to himself. "Walker..." Sam says as he walks past us.

"You guys should see a medic, you don't look so good."

"Stop, Walker." I say louder.

"What? You saw what happened. You know what I had to do. I killed him because I had to! He killed Lemar!"

"He didn't kill Lemar, John." I say.

"Don't go down that road. Believe me, it doesn't end well." Bucky nods.

"I'm not like you."

"Listen, it was the heat of the battle. Okay? If you explain what happened, they may consider your record. We don't want anyone else to get hurt." Sam pauses a moment, "John... You gotta give me the shield, man."

"Oh, so that's what this is. You almost got me."

"You made a mistake." Sam nods.

"You don't wanna do this."

Bucky narrows his eyes, "Yeah, we do." He then lunges first, trying to grab the shield as I run forward and kick the back of his knee. John punches Sam away and swings the shield back to hit my face.

I run forward and take out one of my batons, smacking his back and electrocuting him. I punch him multiple times with my metal hand, I then grab onto the shield and growl in his face as I try to take it. John yells out and throws me off of him, I hit a metal beam and fall down, getting knocked out in the process.

I groan in pain as I sit up, I look over to see Sam and Bucky knocking John down and pulling his arm out to get the shield. I take a deep breath and run over, leaping up and jumping on top of his arm. His arm breaks and he screams out as he slowly stands. "It's mine."

"It's over, John." Sam says.

"It's mine!" I tackle him and throw him into the shield Sam was holding, making us all fall down.

I then sit up and grab the shield, staring at it as I stand. I drop it to Sam, turning and walking off.

Later that day we meet back up, "The GRC is conducting raids to try and find Karli, but so far they've only found her followers. They've searched this camp, and just like the last camp, nothing. She's gone. We'll never find her."

"Hey, you got your sleeve back" Torres walks in.

Bucky turns and walks off, "Are you off to take care of Zemo?" Sam asks.

I only shake my head and follow Bucky.

We find Zemo in Sokovia, he doesn't look up when he realizes we were there. "I thought you'd be here sooner. Don't worry. I've decided I'm not going to kill you."

"Imagine our relief." I mutter as Bucky holds his gun up.

He turns to us. "The girl has been radicalized beyond salvation. I warned Sam, but he didn't listen to me. He's as stubborn as Steve Rogers before him. But you... They literally programmed you both to kill. Y/N...James, do what needs to be done. Karli has people everywhere, and there's only one way to make sure she cannot continue her mission."

"I appreciate the advice. But we're gonna do it our own way."

Zemo chuckles, "Yeah. I was afraid you would say that." Bucky steps forward and holds his gun to Zemo's head, Zemo nods, ready to die. Bucky then tilts his gun and drops the bullets, stepping aside as the Dora Milaje walk over. "Ladies..." Zemo looks up at Bucky. "I took the liberty of crossing off my name in your book. I hold no grudges for what you thought you had to do. Goodbye, James. Goodbye, Y/N." They cuff him and take him away.

Ayo stays back with us, "We will take him to the Raft... Where he will live out his days. It would be prudent to make yourself scarce in Wakanda for the time being, White Wolf."

"Fair enough." Bucky nods as she walks off. "Hey! I may have another favor to ask of you...."