Chapter 1 - The Beginning

On July 4th, 1918, Steve Rogers and I were born.

I was a very healthy baby, older by 20 minutes. Steve on the other hand.....he was very small. It seemed like every year growing up he had a new health problem...so this automatically made me his protector.

In 1930 we met James Buchanan Barnes at school, a boy was picking on Steve and I. Bucky thought that I needed help but quickly realized I could take care of myself. The three of us were inseparable.

In 1933, Bucky confessed his feelings for me. He was 16 and I was 15. At first I was terrified because I didn't want to hurt Steve, I didn't want him to think we would ditch him. But Steve was very supportive, he loved seeing us together.

After our mother died when we were 18, Bucky had moved in with us. He was a big help. And the best thing was.....he didn't just treat me as a typical housewife, making me do all the chores and cooking.

I was his equal.

I've always been a fighter, I want to stand up for what's right. I want us to move into a time where us women were equal to men. So I trained hard, and eventually I was accepted into the army.

Luckily we were together...the one-o-seventh.

Bucky and I walk together down the busy sidewalk of New York, both wearing our military uniforms. But I was wearing a skirt and heels. We knew Steve was seeing a movie but he wasn't there.

The sound of grunts and punches drew our attention, I walk ahead of Bucky to see a man beating Steve. "Hey!" I yell.

"Walk away sweetie." The man smirks, turning to punch Steve.

I grab his fist and spin him to face me. "Pick on someone your own size." I punch him, then I push him behind me. Bucky kicks him away as I help Steve up.

"Sometimes, I think you like getting punched." Bucky smirks.

"I had him on the ropes." Steve catches his breath.

I look down and pick up Steve's enlistment form from the ground. "How many times is this?" I ask, Bucky steps up and reads with me.

"Oh, you're from Paramus now? You know it's illegal to lie on the enlistment form. And seriously, Jersey?" Bucky sighs.

"You get your orders?" Steve takes the form.

"The one-o-seventh. Sergeant James Barnes. Shipping out for England first thing tomorrow."

"Sergeant Y/N Rogers, also shipping out for England." I smile. "I can't believe they made me a sergeant!"

"I should be going."

"Come on, man. Our last night! Gotta get you cleaned up." Bucky puts his arm around us.

"Why? Where are we going?"

"The future." I hand him the newspaper.

After getting Steve cleaned up we walk together to the Expo...Bucky found some random girl to be Steve's date when I could of set him up with a nice girl....one of my friends. "I don't see what the problem is. You're about to be the last eligible man in New York. You know, there's three and a half million women here." Bucky nods.

"Well, I'd settle for just one."

"Good thing I took care of that." Bucky waves to the girl ahead.

"Hey, Bucky!" She waves.

"What did you tell her about me?"

"Only the good stuff." Bucky nods.

I link my hand with Bucky's as we watch the event, "Welcome to the Modern Marvels Pavilion and the World of Tomorrow. A greater world. A better world."

"Oh, my God! It's starting!" The girl, Connie smiles.

"Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Howard Stark!"

Howard enters the stage and kisses the announcer. "Ladies and gentlemen, what if I told you that in just a few short years, your automobile won't even have to touch the ground at all." The female helpers take the wheels off the car on stage. "Yes. Thanks, Mandy.....With Stark robotic reversion technology, you'll be able to do just that."

He turns on the switch of his machine and the car starts to hover off the ground. "Holy cow." Bucky smiles at me.

The robots making the car hover suddenly malfunction and the car falls back on stage. "I did say a few years, didn't I?" We all laugh.

"Hey, Steve, what do you say we treat these girls..." Bucky and I turn to see Steve gone.

"There." I point at a recruitment center. Connie follows us and waits outside as we approach Steve.

"Come on. You're kind of missing the point of a double date. We're taking the girls dancing."

"You go ahead. I'll catch up with you." Steve nods.

"You're really gonna do this again?" I sigh.

"Well, it's a fair. I'm gonna try my luck."

"As who? Steve from Ohio? They'll catch you. Or worse, they'll actually take you." I raise my voice.

"Look, I know you don't think I can do this."

"This isn't a back alley, Steve. It's war!" Bucky yells.

"I know it's a war. You don't have to tell me."

"Why are you so keen to fight? There are so many important jobs." Bucky nods.

"What am I gonna do? Collect scrap metal..."

"Yes!" Bucky nods.

"...in my little red wagon."

"Why not?" Bucky shrugs.

"I'm not gonna sit in a factory, Bucky."

I shake my head, "I don't..."

"Guys, come on! There are men laying down their lives. I got no right to do any less than them. That's what you don't understand. This isn't about me."

"Right. Cause you got nothing to prove." Bucky rolls his eyes.

We turn to see Connie already found a date, "Are we going dancing or what?" She laughs at us. "Don't do anything stupid until we get back." I point.

"How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you." Steve smiles.

"You're a punk." Bucky points and hugs Steve.

"Jerk. Be careful. Both of you." Steve hugs me tight.

"I love you Steve." I mess up his hair and hold Bucky's hand.

"Don't win the war till I get there!" He yells as we walk out.

Bucky and I turn, saluting him.

God I hope he really doesn't do anything stupid.