Chapter 40

It's been three weeks since Darson left the hospital. He has been recovering nicely thanks to me. Last week he started work again and although I didn't like the idea of it, he insisted on going. He also promised to take it easy. Darson doesn't know what the term 'take it easy' means so I have to call every two hours to ensure he's not over doing it.

"When are you going to hire a new driver?" I've been driving Darson to work all week. Dean has resigned about two weeks ago. I'm still curious as to what exactly him and Darson couldn't see eye to eye with. Was it so bad that he had to leave the company? What really could he have possibly done?

"Never. I like when you drive me." Darson replies from the seat beside me. I look in my rearview mirror then at him.

"How much are you paying me?"

"I would have been surprise if you didn't ask." I briefly glare at him. "I'm saving these days. I can however pay with my body." I laugh.

"You'd rather sell your body than rack up a few spare change?" He grins. "You're very expensive. Are you sure I'm qualified?"

"I'm all exclusive to you. Do as you please." I cover up a laugh with a cough.

I change the topic. "Remember to take care of yourself today. Don't over do it."

"If I don't take care of myself then that means you will and I kind of like being taken cared of by you." Darson logic.

"Honey." My voice resembles honey too. I place my right hand on his lap. "Either way I'll take care of you." He pretends to blush and a smile breaks out onto my face. Focus on the road, Khara. "Let's take care of each other, okay?"

"Deal." He agrees. After a split second. "Maybe we should draw up a contract for it." I pass him a look. "Let's put fifty thousand as the fine so that way you won't go back on your word."

"Hahaha." I say dryly. Darson and his money jokes. I pull up to his building. "Get out. Go make more money so you'll have bragging rights to continue your money jokes." He winks at me.

"Says Miss Director Meldeev." He comments. "You're a big boss now too. If I don't be good you'll probably show up one day and say lets end our contract I can survive on my own now."

"Without you? Doubtful." I peck him on the lips and he remains frozen. I wave Darson away but he won't leave the car.

"I don't want to go to work anymore. I want to do this." He pouts.

"Do what?" I pretend to be oblivious.

"This." He motions between us. I act confuse. "This." He pecks me on the lips and I cover my mouth as though surprise. "I'll get going then." He sends me a flying kiss then leaves. I grin at his retreating form before pulling off onto the road.

I arrive at work five minutes later and head to my office. "Good morning, Mrs. Meldeev." They all greet as they go about their duties. I nod to them on my way. When I finally drop down in my seat, I take a deep breath and switch on my computer. The first thing I see is an article.

The headline, 'Darson Meldeev shot outside bank'. The article speculates that the perpetrator must've been a robber or something. I sigh. Darson could have lost his life that day. I almost lost my mind. That doctor Marvin guy definitely lost his.

"Mrs. Meldeev." I look over at the door. One of my employees. "There's a woman here to see you."

"Send her in." The girl nods and leaves. Two minutes later, a woman around my age walks in. "Hello." I stand and greet her with a handshake.

"Hi. I'm Lyd Haynes." I smile and motion for her to take a seat. "It's nice to finally meet you. How is your husband? I read the article." I shift in my seat. "He's a friend of mine." I suddenly remember that guy I met outside my building. He claimed to be a friend of Darson's. Could it have been the same guy that pushed me into ongoing traffic? Could it be Marvin? I shake my head. "A very close friend."