Chapter 27

Aren't we married? Doesn't he already get to call me his? What more does he want? I peek at him from the side of my eyes. We are on our way back to the penthouse. Something came up at the office. Can't they give the man a break? I glance at him again. He seems serious about liking me. Does he actually? Maybe I can get a read of his face. I sneak a peek again. His face seems normal. Well, what did you expect? Love to be written on his forehead?

"If you want to stare at me just do so. I'm all yours. No need to steal a glance." His face remains unchanged. He doesn't look at me or smile when saying it.

"Oh please." I wave him off with a nervous laugh. "I'm just making sure you know what you're doing. I'm not familiar with you behind a wheel and God knows if you're planning to kill me or something." I can't even look at him. My heart is racing.

"Trust me, if I wanted to kill you I would've long done it." I look over at him, disapproval evident in my stare.

"I wouldn't put it past you."

"Of course, I wouldn't do it myself though. That's time consuming and it sometimes gets a bit messy." I can't believe he is casually talking about such a thing.

"Look at you talking like a certified murderer." He grins. "You must've killed someone before. You seem to know all about it." His smile drops and his demeanor becomes tense. His grip on the steering wheel tightens.

Wait. Did he kill someone? Does this have to do with that meltdown he had? He said he doesn't deserve to live. Is this why? "Darson-"

"Why are you so dressed up anyway? You're not off to work, are you?" Change of topic.

"I'm having dinner with a friend's family in Manhattan." Darson looks over at me with an annoyed expression.

"So when were you planning on telling me that?" Right. I forgot to mention it. It's literally like thirty or so minutes away. It's not a big deal.

"I didn't get the time to mention it and it slipped my mind." I reply. He doesn't say anything after that. Hypocrite. He goes wherever he wants all the time. "I'm taking the train." No reply.

"You're taking the train looking like that?" I look down at my navy blue summer dress with sleeves that reach half my arm and a hem that goes a little pass mid-thigh. It is plain but it looks classy. My black heels with straps hugging my feet comes into view. What's wrong with my outfit? I pass a hand on my hair to check if my ponytail is still intact. "You're either going to get mugged or harassed." He has a point.

"I'll be fine. I'll wear my coat and stay away from the suspicious people. This isn't the first time I'm taking a train." No reply. He drops me off at the train station and gets on his way. He didn't even say be safe.

My coat goes down to my knees and is buttoned up so I don't feel too uncomfortable. People are still giving that look though. Maybe they recognize me from the magazines? They're probably wondering why I'm taking the train. Dean is Darson's driver so he needs to be on duty right now. Plus he needs a break from driving me everywhere. There's no way I'm letting Darson drive me to James' family house.

A train stops in front of me and I make my way on. I look around the train for a good spot. That guy seems suspicious so not there. The one on the other side is sleeping and might end up sleeping on me. There's a seat by the old woman. She looks kind and that means she'll probably talk my ear off. That kid is staring at me. Why? I hate when kids do that.

The train starts moving and I have no choice but to sit by the old woman. I look over at her and smile. She huffs and turns the other way. Oh boy. I am completely wrong about her character. "Materialist." She grumbles. I shift in my seat. I find her glaring at me a lot. What did I ever do to that poor old woman?