Chapter 33

I meet mother in the kitchen doing the dishes. I go straight to the refrigerator and pull out the mug of juice. I do this in silence.

Diha joins us. She eyes me before going to help mother put away the dishes. I watch the two. How can they be this comfortable with lying? They disappoint me. Especially mother.

"Diha, try to remember taking off the lights in the bathroom." It is a habit of hers. I walked past the bathroom earlier and it was on.

"Yes ma'am." The mocking tone in her voice irritates me. "It is your house. Mother and I wouldn't want to do anything to jeopardize our stay here." My hands tighten on the glass in my hands.

"You think too much, Diha." I try to sound unfazed. "It'll only add onto the electricity bill." I point out with a stiff smile. I then rest the glass on the counter. "Oh and please don't contact Darson about money anymore. It's demeaning." Diha's glare can bore holes into my skull. "I have no interest in this house, mother." She looks over at me. "And since you're still my mother, I'll turn it over to you." The small smile that slowly clambers its way up her face makes me the slightest bit angry. "Even though you've done some dispecable things." That smile disappears.

"Khara, you've gone too far." Diha scolds me but my eyes are focused on my mother.

"Money brings out the worse in you." I tell her, casually. "You even hid my father's death from me to rack up cash. An alternative account?" Her eyes widen but Diha seems confuse. "You didn't tell me because you wanted Darson to keep sending money. Since dad's treatment is no more, it'll all go to the alternative account. The one you tricked Darson's dad into agreeing to."

"Khara-" She starts but I'm not finish.

"Be quiet. I'm not done with you." Diha is surprise by my way of speaking. It is calm but they are like sharp knifes. I'm just so damn disappointed. "Lies. Lies, I can tolerate but I don't expect you to be a cheat." Why isn't she looking at me? Has the cat gotten her tongue?

"Khara, what the hell are you talking about?" Diha. Oh, Diha. Mother has made a mistake.

"And the biggest betrayal of it all is putting that manipulative thief in charge of our father's company." I shake my head at her. "The same man that you've proved your unfaithfulness with." Mother's eyes are filled with angry tears.

"Khara, what the hell?!" Diha's voice shattering the air almost has me jumping out of my skin. Her eyes too are glistening with angry tears. Her sharp eyes fall on mother. "Mother, what is she talking about?"

"The person we saw that day in the study wasn't our father." I tell her.

As we pass by father's study, Diha pauses in her steps. She is peaking into the slightly ajar door with a smile on her face. I join her to take a look myself. My fifteen year old self is shocked by the scene in front me. I can only see a man's back but the passionate kiss they're sharing make me cover my eyes. Did father get a new haircut?

It's the first time I've seen mother and father be so careless. It is definitely new.

Diha giggles and I tug on her arm for us to leave with a small giggle of my own. The stripe shirt on the floor is the last thing I see before pulling her away from the scene.

She drops down onto the couch in the living room with a sigh. "I've never known mother and father to be so wild. The study?" She grins with a shake of her head. I slap her on the arm.

"If I didn't drag you out of there you would've still been at their door. I don't know how you can watch that. It's disgusting."

She stretches her legs out. "They've been distant lately. It's nice to see them express something other than ignorance." True. "I would never watch all of that though. Are you crazy? That's disgusting." I laugh at her comment.