Chapter 31

Darson's POV

I rake my hands down my face, a sigh leaving my lips. What have I done in my past life to be given such misery? Oh wait, it was two years ago. Feels like yesterday.

I try focusing on the paper in front me. I'm reading but I'm not comprehending. I throw the pen onto the table and take up my phone. It's been blowing up all morning. If I see another picture of April and I, I'll smash something.

I stand and head for the door, my strides purposeful. Maybe showing up at April's house isn't the best idea but it's the most effective. I wrap on the door and wait. When no response, I knock even louder and continuously. "Who's the idiot-" The door flies open to reveal a surprised April. "Darson. You came." I push past her.

"Don't get your hopes up."

"You're upset over the posts, aren't you?" She smiles.

"Next time you're drunk and shameless, call someone that's your friend."

"Well, I think we look good together."

"Now that you've gotten your two seconds of fame, do your clown makeup, put on your second hand designer clothes and get your statement out there." I glare at her. "You've always got something to say on social media and now when everyone awaits it you shut up."

She slowly walks toward me, her heels clicking on the tiled floor. A hand goes up to fix my tie. "What if I don't want to make a statement.?" There's a gleam in her eyes. I know April so much that I expected her to say this.

I snatch her hands away from my tie. "Don't let me have to remind you of that thing your family is hiding." Her eyes shoot to mine. "While you may want to stay quiet on this matter, I have no problem shedding light on your shortcomings." Her eyes that had a connivingness to it now have water building in them, a fear floating to the surface.

"You don't dare." April glares at me while she pulls her hands away from my grip.

"Oh, you don't want to find out." April's nose flares. I smirk at her before turning on my heels. "Tick tock. You better do it soon or I'm afraid I won't be able to delay my part of this game." I stride toward the door with a victorious smile on my face. "Oh and just one more thing." I turn to look at her. Look at her, all fuming and crying. "Nothing and anything but the truth." With that I leave.

April called me drunk last night. Despite my unwillingness to help her out, I decided to make sure she didn't do or say something stupid. The last time she got drunk she almost blew her family. April thinks I care about her family's secret? Me threatening to snitch on them was only a bluff. I can't care less about that and whenever this secret blows everyone involved is going down. I don't want people in my face trying to get the story on it.

I only dropped April home last night. I didn't even go inside. I dropped her off on the street.

So why did I make it seem as though something went on between April and I? Why didn't I just tell Khara what actually happened?

I sigh. You know why.

*********************************

A slight knock forms on the door and I call the person in. "Sir, you wanted me to see you." Dean enters my office, his hands behind his back. Dean's politeness and respect is what I liked most about him. After Honell, he is the only driver that made it past a month while working for me. He's been here for almost three years.

Yet after three years of relationship building, we tether on a bridge of relationship breaking. "In this moment you can address me as Darson." He looks confuse and a bit unsure. Everyone usually attach formalities to my name but right now I'll make him an exception for what I'm about to say. I jump right into the issue. "What is your relationship with my wife?" This must've taken him off guard because his head whips toward me quite quickly.