Day Twenty-Six;

I wasn't expecting Wes to call me.  I was a little taken back, because I wasn't prepared.  Reading though?  That's the best I could do?  I should have just ignored the phone call all together.  I was already almost there.  I was driving off of five cups of coffee at this point, and it was going on about five in the evening the next day. I was only about ten minutes away from the cabin.  I picked my phone up, and dialed Carter's number.  "Hello?" she answered.

                "Carter!  I'm so glad you answered.  What are you up to?"

I heard Wes, Drew, and Keaton in the background talking, and laughing.  So they were all together.  "We're at the slopes.  They're snowboarding, and I'm watching." she laughed.

Sounds like Carter.  Not one for sports.  "Well, I just wanted to let you know I'm almost there.  Did you leave the key?"

                "Yes, it's under the mat.  We're going to dinner in a few minutes, and then we'll be home.  Don't worry; I'm the only person that knows you're coming."

I would have gone to Keaton, but he doesn't know how to keep his mouth shut.  I love the kid, but sometimes it's best.  "Thanks you, Carter.  So, how is he?"  I've wanted to ask.

She let out a sigh, "He's okay, I guess.  He has his moments where he just gets down all of a sudden, but for the most part, he's been okay."

That's good to hear.  "Do you think he'll be mad when he sees me?"

There was a long pause.  "Maybe.  I mean, after what happened..." she trailed off.

I agreed.  I was expecting him to be mad at me.  "It'll be fine." she assured.

                "I just hope he doesn't kick me out." I joked.

I heard her laugh on the other end.  "He won't kick you out.  I won't let him, don't worry.  I'll see you tomorrow, since you guys will probably be talking all night..."

Probably, but I had no idea if he'll even talk to me.  "I'm just going to cross my fingers, and hope for the best."

                "It'll be fine.  I promise.  I love you, and I'll talk to you later."

I said bye before hanging up the phone.  I was too nervous to even function.

                When I arrived, there wasn't a car in the driveway.  I sighed, and put my scarf back on.  I was bundled in about three jackets, including Wes's sweatshirt I never returned.  Of course that was the bottom layer.  I grabbed my suit case, and continued my journey to the front door.  I walked to the door, and looked down at the mat.  Carter said she stuck her key under it, so I lifted it, and there it lay.  I picked it up, and unlocked the door quickly.  It was much warmer in here, thank god.  I walked into the kitchen, and sat the key down on the bar. 

                I walked around for a moment, trying to figure out which room belonged to Wes.  My luck, it had to be the last room I checked.  I knew it from the second I smelled his after shave fresh in the air.  I removed my scarf, and the jackets.  I remained in Wes's sweatshirt; it was still a little cold.  I plopped down on the edge of the bed, and rubbed my hands together quickly.  I was still freezing my ass off.  But Carter's text distracted me from my coldness for a few seconds.  "Going to dinner.  Be back in a few."  Was all she said.  That was sent not too long ago.  I hoped she would text me letting me know when they're on their way back.

                I was nervous.  What if Wes doesn't want to see me?  What if he's already over it?  What if he gets freaked out because I just showed up?  So many what if's, it's making me second guess my decision on coming here.  But I need to fix it.  I do believe him when he said he didn't do anything.  It's just the fact that he lied about it.  Jennifer actually helped a little, not going to lie.  I just drove for twenty hours, I got to do something, and not chicken out.  It's my turn to apologize.  I was just angry.  You don't lie to the people that love you.