Ch.16 Her Safety Is My Top Priority

"Mare!"

I'm forced out of Mikey's arms and into the arms of the person I hate. Junichi presses a pocket knife against my throat. He was no longer grinning like before. He was completely serious.

"Put Osanai down."

"...Tsk."

Draken does that just. Osanai just lays there, this time truly unconscious.

"There. Now you back off-"

"This isn't how that works."

"M-Mikey..."

"It's okay. Just focus on me. Don't think about anything else, got it?"

I nod a bit.

I'm doing my best, but the blade is doing a damn good job of making sure I know it's there.

"Cute. You're going to get on your knees and admit defeat. And maybe, if you beg, I'll let her go."

"..."

Mikey gets on his knees.

"H-Hey! Don't listen to-"

"Shut up! If only you'd listen." Junichi growls at me. "The rest of you, on your knees!"

I watch as Draken, and even Peh, do the same.

"See! You bunch of idiots! They're nothing but a bunch of middle schoolers!"

Moebius didn't know how to react to this scene.

"Now, will you admit defeat?" Junichi questions Mikey.

"..."

"I can't hear you?"

"..."

"I wouldn't stay silent, pal."

"Ngh!"

He makes a small cut on my neck.

"I-"

"Don't say a word!" I interrupt Mikey, keeping him from saying anything. "Toman won this fight! Not Moebius!"

Junichi uses his free hand to cover my mouth.

"Let the kid speak- Ow!"

I bit his hand. He quickly removes it.

"You b*tch!"

"Mikey! Don't listen to him! Just fight!"

"...I'll fight once you're safe."

"Mikey... Draken, can't you do something?"

"I can't do anything until you're either by Mikey's or my side. If I act, you could get seriously hurt."

"..."

Gripping my hair even tighter, Junichi brings his face down next to mine.

"Don't you have such caring friends."

A few tears fall from my eyes.

"No need to cry, Ho. You scared, right?"

"...No."

"No?"

"I'm frustrated. I don't want people worrying about me... I don't want to be weak anymore... I'm tired of people thinking they could do whatever they want with me."

"..."

Junichi smirks.

"Oh, Ho, as long as you're alive, it'll always be like that. God will see to it that you'll always get what's coming to you."

I close my eyes and try to calm myself enough to think. What can I do at a time like this?

"...Brings back memories, huh?"

I open my eyes once more, no longer crying. Junichi's stupid face was all I could see from the corner of my eye.

"What are you talking about?"

"Ho, now's not the time for you to lose your memory again. When's the last time you were held like this? At knife point?"

"...When dad was alive."

"See? You do remember."

"...But that was seven years ago." My memory slowly returns to me. "He only ever did this once."

"...?"

"Because my brother showed me a way to escape it."

"Shun did wha-"

I throw my head forward and swing it back as hard, and fast, as I can. The back of my head connect with the bridge of Junichi's nose, breaking it through the process. He let's go and I run right to Mikey. I was safe in his arms once more.

"Mare, are you alright?"

"Yeah..."

"Agh!"

We look back to find Junichi's nose all bloody. Mikey quickly stands, as well as the others, and holds me protectively against him.

"The hell?! How the f*ck did he show you that?! The guy couldn't even defend himself! Hell, he wasn't even violent!"

"...That's true... He wasn't...but you don't know him like you though you did. So much for being a friend."

"You little-... I'm going to tell your sister about all this. But before I do, I'm going to break every bone in your body. She'll be pissed at me, but she'll understand why I did it."

"...Kenny."

"Yeah."

Draken walks up to the both of us. Mikey let's me go, once he knew Draken was at my side. With a cold, dead stare he slowly makes his way up to the young man.

"You're the one who burned Mare, right?"

"Hmph. I know what comes next..."

"..."

"Yeah, burned her, beat her, and even did this little stunt. And you know what? I don't even care that I di-"

Without letting him finish, Mikey gave him the same roundhouse kick he gave Osanai. However, this one was way stronger than before. Junichi's body just laid there, unmoving. Mikey looks over the crowd.

"Who else wants to try a stunt like that?"

"..."

Moebius didn't move or say a thing.

"..."

Walking back to me, Mikey places his hand on the back of my head. Moving it forward, his lips met mine. I could feel my cheeks heat up from everyone watching. He then pulls away, looking directly into my eyes.

"If anyone is stupid enough to dare lay a finger on this girl... I'll kill you."

"..."

He sounded so scary, but...oddly...it made me very happy.

"M-Mikey..."

He gives me that smile I like so much.

"Sorry, Mare. I had to reap the rewards."

"Rewards?"

"You."

Now I'm really flustered. Hiding my face in the side of his neck, the male chuckles. I feel his arms move around me.

My heart wouldn't stop beating so damn fast. I couldn't tell if it was because of all the excitement or...if it's because I'm in Mikey's arms.

"...I'm not a prize, you dumby."

"You are to me."

"...Smooth talker."

I know romance isn't my thing, but damn... I'm seriously starting to fall hard for this charismatic guy. More than usual. I mean...I might even lo-

The sound of sirens interrupts my thoughts.