In The Lights

"Hurry up, Talia." I groaned as I ran my hand through my hair. She rolled her eyes and re-applied her mascara for the 3rd time. I shook my head and turned, shoving the door open and hearing a loud thud. I quickly looked behind the door and saw a pale-skinned boy slouched against the wall. 

"I'm so sorry!" I apologized as he stood up and rubbed his arm. He shook his head. 

"It's all good." He reassured as his eyes met mine. We shared a smile. 

"Hey, you're Machine Gun Kelly." I smiled up at him. He rubbed the back of his neck. 

"Thanks for noticing." Wow, this is completely different from the bravado he has whenever he performs. Amped up, and doesn't care about anything. Well, he is at a public event. 

I was snapped out of my daze when he chuckled a little. 

"Well?" He asked. I raised my eyebrow. "What's your name?" He asked as if he had already said it multiple times. I smiled idiotically. 

"Hayden." He smiled, finally getting an answer. 

"Nice name." The door swung open again but this time it was me who was getting pushed into the wall, crushing him against it in the process. 

"Come on Haydence. Mom and Dad are probably expecting us." She strutted off, pretending the hallway was her runway. I rolled my eyes and patted the man's shoulder. 

I mocked my older sister, strutting down the hallway as if it was a runway and turning back to see him staring at me, sending him a flirty wink and smile before continuing to walk back to my table. 

.~.~.~.~. 

I felt a bony elbow nudge into my side as I quickly sat up and groaned. I rubbed my head and looked at my cell phone, 8 o'clock. We've been at this stupid ceremony for the last 3 hours and nothing interesting has happened; No wardrobe malfunctions or scandalous kisses or anything news-worthy. 

I looked over to my left, giggling at the table full of boys who were acting restless. I think one of them was the guy I ran into earlier by the bathroom? 

"Yeah Bitch, Yeah Bitch, call me Steve-O,I'm a wild boy, fuck an eighth I need o's

I gasped as I saw the entire table of guys look over at me, other people in the room also shooting me dirty looks. I quickly shut off my ringtone, which I forgot was on, and hid my face in my hands in shame. I heard a bunch of muffled laughs coming from my left and peeked over my forearm. 

Machine Gun Kelly was looking back at me, still smiling and biting his lip to stifle a laugh. He winked at me and turned back to his table. 

"Ugh!" I groaned and hid my face once more. 

.~.~.~.~. 

"Dad it was an accident! I forgot to turn it off! I'm sorry!" My parents were scolding me at 10 o'clock at night over a stupid ringtone incident? We had just gotten back from the stupid banquet and I barely had time to shower and brush my teeth before they were barrading me with questions, they were all meaningless by the way. 

"Do you have any idea how much of an embarrasment that was for us? Not to mention what you wore." He looked disgusted. 

"What kind of music was that anyway?" My mom snarled. I looked up at her. 

"It's called Rap music, Mother. And the artist was Machine Gun Kelly, if you wanted to know." She rolled her eyes and groaned. 

"I'm going to have Lolli (her assistant) e-mail you a list of real music." She patted my head as if I was a dog and walked out, followed by my dad. 

I plopped back on my bed and quickly sat up when my computer chimed, a new tweet. I quickly hopped onto my chair and refreshed. 

"You never know when you're gonna hear your own ringtone at a banquet... Lol, #LaceUp!

I smiled a little before climbing under my bed covers and falling asleep to the sound of Jimmy Fallon interviewing Taylor Lautner. 

.~.~.~.~. 

I slid on my ripped jean-shorts and my Beatles crop-top. I slid on some sandals and climbed into my car and went to pick up Gwen and Piper. After that we headed off to the beach. 

I had in one of my ear buds the entire drive and even when we arrived at the beach and started to unpack our stuff. Every since the incident the previous night, I couldn't get MGK songs out of my head. My favorite of the hour was "What I Do." 

"I want ice cream!" Piper exclaimed from behind the trunk. Gwen and I shared a confused look at each other before realizing we also wanted some ice cream. Who could resist the deliciousness on a hot day like this anyway? 

We made our way to the closest Cold Stone's and ordered. I got my usual "Oreo Disaster" and Gwen and Piper made their own contraptions. We walked out and laughed as we crossed the street and struggled not to fall over in the sand. 

"Hey?" Gwen stopped. I looked back at her confused. "Does anyone else hear 'Lace Up' playing?" Piper and I listened closely, she was right. We followed the sound of the music only to find a shiny black hummer and a huge group of people partying and dancing. We shrugged, what could a few more people do? 

I continued to the hummer and tapped the body of the boy who was turned around. I was shocked when he looked back at me. 

"MGK?" I smiled a little and squinted my eyes at the sun. He smiled back. 

"Call me Colson." He smiled. I nodded. 

"Haydence, right?" I rolled my eyes. 

"Hayden." I corrected. He nodded. 

"What are you doing here?" He asked as he turned to me and let his feet dangle from the side of the car. 

"Me and my friends heard music and we decided to come and join the party." He smiled. 

"Enjoy!" He shouted over the music, now playing "Warning Shot." 

I hopped my way over to Piper and stripped down to my bikini, beginning to dance. I felt weird, like someone was staring at me. I looked back over at the car where the music was coming from and sure enough, Colson was staring at me, almost in a daze. 

I winked at him, as I did the previous night, and he shook his head and smiled sheepishly. 

I smiled back and turned back to Piper, singing along to the song. 

.~.~.~.~.