29) By Design

Keep reading and supporting, and I'll keep writing! xx

                        About an hour after they had sex and Fico left his office, Samantha put down the book she was reading that she had discovered from one of his shelves, and got the horrible feeling that Fico was had done something really stupid.

                        Sam had left on her thickest façade on since the moment she arrived at his estate, but the bastard could see right through her, and she could sure as hell see right through him. Unfortunately for him, her skill had only gotten better. Working as a waitress familiarized her with people’s mannerisms and habits, to the point where she found herself understanding people before they even introduced themselves.

                        Anyway, sex had only intensified the connection between Fico and Sam, and she knew the gut feeling she was getting was right.

                        This meant that Fico was keeping something else from her.

                        Sam took out the cell phone Fico had given her and pressed 1 for his number on speed dial. The first time she pressed, it rang a many times until the line finally picked up.

                        “Fico, it’s me. Where are you?”

                        The line went dead.

                        That wasn’t like him at all. He never would have hung up on her like that, unless something was wrong. Maybe she was just overthinking this. They’d only been separated for an hour, and she was getting this concerned about him? Sam frowned and pressed 1 again. It rang a few times.

                        “Vitali,” a deep, accented voice answered, and brought butterflies to Sam’s belly. She started to speak, when his voice continued, “leave your name and your purpose for calling me, and I’ll get back to you eventually.“

                        Voicemail.

                        Now Sam was mad. “And you say that I don’t answer my calls?” she hissed, then hung up and tucked the phone into her bra.

                        Sam decided to look for the dumb bastard. She stormed out of Fico’s office with her nostrils flared and her body tilted forward, like a bull charging towards red.

                        Sam exploded into his meeting room to find it empty. He wasn’t in the gym, either, or his room. There were three other houses to check and Sam was already assuming he was dead.

                        Sam was heading towards the poolroom and was borderline having a panic attack, when Ben Pezza, one of Fico’s most trusted Family members, fell in step with her.

                        Ben was tall with shaggy blonde hair, forest green eyes, and a grin that belonged on a toothpaste commercial.