Chapter 18 :- Setting Things Right

"Justice is a conscience, not a personal conscience but conscience of the whole humanity. And there is no justice in the world unless we make it..." 

The dead is avenged as the culprit is caught

I'm now opulent; I don't mind spending millions for your thoughts

I hope you are happy because I feeling nothing

The burden won't levitate, beneath it I am still crushing...

Tranquil days were soon going to return to Irisvile with the malefactor gone for good. The magnificent sky, the glorious creation of the divine himself was a witness to the same. So many that had died; fallen victims to perpetrator's malicious games would finally be able to rest in peace. But the chastity was tainted with treachery and this perspicuity was muffled with speciousness. The avenger was still feeling empty from within. The dolorous memories had become a part of him, and now it was too late to return. The emotions were ambivalent as the purpose; the reason for going on was lost, and the accused unyieldingly pleaded righteousness... Is this the justice I had been seeking?

"Officer Chad..." The big reveal was far from over as there were so many answers yet to be found out. "I need you to gather... Hmm, actually... I need you to confirm certain facts for me about a person... About an Officer...?" An earnest request was made by Sheriff Jackson.

"Let me take a wild guess..." Officer Chad already seemed to be on board "It's about Officer Ted?"

"Yeah..." The Sheriff was amused by the knowledge of that man "This is kind of..."

"Illegal. I know, Sheriff." Officer Chad completed the Sheriff's statement for him "Who do you think gathered all the information for Georgie...? Consider me your search engine... Didn't he tell you that?" Sheriff remembered a forgotten conversation of the past.

The man was indeed glib compared to his deceased colleague. "I have collected the information already." This was much faster than I expected. This was unusual. "Actually after the statement of Mrs. White, Georgie told me to reinvestigate the entire case. It was on the day he..." Again the word 'death' had a stigma attached to it. The abrupt homicide of Officer George was still difficult to digest even after so many days.

"He died..." Sheriff completed the statement for Officer Chad. But this was no time to dwell in the past, we had to secure our future and we have never been this close, we know the identity of that heinous person... "It's a great thing that you completed the task even after his death..."

"Sheriff, this was the last assignment given by Officer George. I had to complete it. I wanted to honor him." The word 'Officer George' had certain pride ringing in it, while the rest of the statement was said with a heavy voice, in plain tone and Sheriff didn't fail to notice a sharp exhalation after which Officer Chad continued with a normal voice "Turns out we were wrong about Officer Ted. The testimony given by his wife about Dr. Cooper was true. It was verified by the other school authorities. And as far as his assault goes, Officer Ted had served his time for about 1 month in juvenile jail, done community service for six months, and also went through proper therapy sessions for two consecutive years."

"And about the murders?" Sheriff wanted to leave no stone unturned. This time he was not going to give the benefit of the doubt to anyone. He was going to think like Officer George. It's the least kind of tribute I could give to the kid...