Back to Square One

"Imada-San, theres someone waiting for you outside the class."

I look up at the girl who came up to my desk, her expression looking slightly tense and annoyed.

"Uh thanks." I blink, standing up and walking out of the classroom.

"Hey." Tsukishima and Yamaguchi greet me at the same time.

"Hi?" I tilt my head slightly.

"Do you want to join us for lunch?" Yamaguchi smiles, one that looks like he's up to something.

It's been a few months since Tsukishima and I met, and not once did we hang out during lunch. After school is the only time we'd see each other when I'd go to their practice.

So this is weird. And now people are giving me side looks.

"I don't bring lunch, sor-"

"It's okay! We have an extra one." Yamaguchi cuts me off and I mentally groan.

"Ah, okay. Then sure." I reluctantly agree and follow the two boys up to the rooftop.

Yamaguchi takes out a small picnic blanket that definitely doesn't fit three people but we sure are gonna make ourselves fit.

They both take out a bento and then Yamaguchi reaches over to Tsukishima's bag and pulls out another one. It's wrapped in a pink furoshiki with small cherry blossom petals on it.

Yeah...there's no way these two boys just had an extra bento lying around. Nonetheless with this pattern of cherry blossoms on it.

"Let's play cards while we eat." Yamaguchi suggests and everyone agrees.

Worst idea ever. Seriously.

We decided to play go fish. I never knew a game could be so intense.

Both Yamaguchi and Tsukishima keep accusing each other of lying when they say they don't have a certain card. It's turning into a full on interrogation from both people. Tsukishima is a pretty calm guy and Yamaguchi doesn't seem like the type to be fond of confrontation.

But right now these two are literally yelling at each other over some cards.

"Pffft-" I cover my mouth, trying my best to suppress my laugh but I fail and end up bursting out in laughter.

The two most sensible and calm guys in the world fighting over a card game. A children's card game at that!

I hold my stomach, unable to breathe or stop laughing. Too caught up in trying to calm myself down, I didn't realize the two boys had gotten quiet.

"I'm sorry." I sniffle, wiping the tears that dared to spill from my eyes. When I finally get myself together and look up at them, I see that they're staring at me- frozen in shock. "What...?" I tilt my head in confusion.

Both boys immediately look away, raising a hand to their faces.

"Oh you lucky bastard. You lucky, stupid bastard. I hate you so bad right now." Yamaguchi almost sobs, smacking the back of his friends head.

"Heh." Tsukishima pushes his friend away, seemingly proud.

The two boys finally turn back to me a few minutes later and I can see a light pink hue on Yamaguchi's face.

"That was the first time I heard you laugh." Tsukishima notes and I think about it for a second before blushing.

"Oh, is it?" I awkwardly rub the back of my head.

"Mm. The first time I seen you so expressive too." He lifts his bento and scoops up a small octopus hotdog. "It's nice."

~