Chapter 8:

You swung open your front door, allowing the street lamps outside to light up the entryway. Your feet hit the ground, and you stripped off your shoes and threw them to the side.

"You can just put your shoes over there." You pointed to where you had thrown yours.

The man from earlier followed your lead and stripped off his shoes.

"I'm Jax, by the way." He mumbled.

"I'm (Y/N)."

He nodded and plopped down on the sofa. You gave him a half smile and sat down on a tattered recliner. He nodded over at your papers, which were sprawled over the coffee table.

"Ya doing homework?" He asked.

You nodded. "Yep."

He picked up a paper and studied it. "If you're (Y/N), then who the hell is Cleo?"

You paled. "That's, uh, my friend."

"And ya do her homework?"

You nodded. He looked from the paper to you, then back to the paper again before setting it down.

"Ya know ya can say no, right?" He reminded. "Ya can stand up for yourself."

You shook your head. "She's literally the most popular girl at school, and she has connections with one guy that hates me. They'd ruin my entire schooling career."

He nodded. "Do ya know how to fight?"

You shook your head. "A little, but not enough to fight a man ten times my size."

He nodded. "If they can be taken down by anyone and anything, which they can, then you can do it to 'em."

You nodded slowly. Jax looked over the papers again and grabbed a pencil. Then, he began jotting answers down quickly. You watched as he completed a full sheet before moving to the next one.

"You don't have to do my work for me." You mumbled, and you scratched at your arms to soothe your anxiety.

"Yeah, yeah. Shut up." His eyes never left the papers.

"No, seriously. It's not your responsibility.."

He pulled out his wallet. "Ya like bagels?"

"What?"

"Do ya like bagels?"

You nodded slowly. "Yeah, why?"

He pulled a 5 from the thin leather and handed it to you. You held onto it with a confused glance. "Go get ya a bagel and get off of my ass, kid."

You furrowed your brows, but stood up anyway. It wasn't normal for an adult to tell you what to do, let alone actually care for you. You didn't complain, however, and you slipped your shoes back on.

"You want anything?"

"Uh, small black coffee."

You nodded and exited the small house. The air chilled your form again, reminding you of its abuse from previous late night trips. Your legs carried you past the street and onto another run down neighborhood. Under normal circumstances, you wouldn't have hung around the poor neighborhoods filled with druggies and rapists, but you wanted to get home quickly, so you braved the dark and the crackheads and made your walk seem determined.

Any conversation being held in the dark stopped the moment your form was noticed. You carried on, though, and made sure not to make eye contact with anyone. Your brave face never faulted.

"(Y/N)!"

Nevermind, it faulted. Manny's voice roared out to you, catching your attention and the attention of a few others. You looked at him with fear.