🌻Chapter 10

🌻

The door was open.

The president always left the door open so people would feel free to come to him for advice at any time. Gulf entered the room to find President Soga humming and looking through a magazine targeted towards young people.

He immediately noticed Gulf and said, "Oh, Gulf! Great timing! I was thinking of having a welcoming party for you soon and I was just looking for a good restaurant. How about this one? Or do you have a special request?"

"President!"

Soga looked up at him, startled by his loud exclamation. "You scared me, yelling out like that!"

"What is going on with the company housing?" Gulf demanded, getting straight to the point.

Soga looked as if he just remembered something and murmured. "Ah..."

A guilty looked spread across his face, as if he realized he had finally been caught.

Gulf pressed on. "President, you said not to worry about where I should live when I came to Tokyo. That you'd have proper company housing ready for me, and that you'd completely support my move. I trusted you, and that's why I came here. Naturally, I thought I'd be finished moving in before I started work, but you haven't made any arrangements at all for me! If that's all it is, then I can't do anything. But since you keep telling me to wait, I want to know what's going on with the company housing, and when I can move in. Don't you think I'm entitled to that at least?"

"Ah...y-yes, you're right..." Soga mumbled as Gulf approached him.

Gulf, who seemed like a quiet person, could be forceful when it really mattered.

"I'm living in a hotel that I'm not used to, and even when I sleep through the whole night, I still wake up exhausted. I have to have a place of my own or I just can't relax or feel any relief. If the company housing isn't possible, then just tell me. I won't even care if you tell me the company housing was a mistake on your part, and that I should find an apartment. But what I can't stand is not knowing whether it is available or not. Should Iook for an apartment myself or just bear with staying in a hotel for now? I just want to know what to do!"

Suddenly, Soga slapped both hands on top of his desk with a loud bang, and bent himself forward. "I...I'm sorry. I didn't realized this had become such a big burden for you. I'm very sorry," he apologized earnestly.

But Gulf wasn't seeking an apology. All he wanted was just one thing---a solution to his problem.

"It would have been different if I knew I had to stay in a hotel until a certain date, but being in a situation where I'm not told anything except to wait is just too much," he said.

"I'm sorry..." Soga repeated.

"So I guess the story about the company housing..." was a lie. Gulf finished the sentence in his head. But why would he tell a lie that would be found out so easily? Maybe the plans for the company housing just hadn't advanced as quickly as he had hoped.

Soga looked flustered and said, "No, no...actually, the date was pushed back, and I wasn't sure what to do about it myself. But it's fine now! I have somewhere for you to live."

"Really? Are you serious?" Gulf blinked in disbelief at this sudden development.

"Yes. I had been thinking about it before, but that doesn't get anything accomplished. It's a condo in Higashinakano. It's pretty spacious, more like a dormitory than a condo."

"A dormitory?"

'Company housing' had now turned into 'company dormitory.'

However, at this point, anything was better than staying in a hotel. Whether it was a dorm or company housing, Gulf couldn't complain. All he wanted was his own place where he could relax, a place where he could be alone and at ease.

"Yes, but actually, you'd have a roommate. There's already someone living there. You're about the same age, so I'm sure you'll get along fine. I'll give him a call right away, so can you wait a bit?" Soga said, and began dialing the phone on his desk.

Once again, he had been told to wait. Gulf returned to the tedious task of making copies, still full of doubts.

TBC