🌻Chapter 6

🌻

"Anyway, are you still living in a hotel? The company must really expect a lot from you if they put you up in this ritzy city hotel. They're totally going out of their way for you!" Bright said he finished the rest of his iced tea.

At this, Gulf remembered why he had asked Bright there in the first place, and sat up straighter in his chair.

"Actually, the company didn't really arrange this. When I came to Tokyo, I thought I would stay in a hotel until things calmed down, so I asked at the airport and they recommended this place. I'm paying for it myself but Tokyo's hotel rates are really expensive."

"Yeah, they are. But at this city hotel, you're getting ripped off exactly like all the tourists! If you're going to live here, you'd better start looking for an apartment or a condo. You won't be able to relax if you have to go to work from a hotel everyday."

"Well, when I had my interview, they told me I could live in a company housing. I really thought I'd be able to move in soon, and that I'd only have to stay in a hotel for one or two days. But they told me I have to wait because the company housing isn't ready yet for some reason."

"That's terrible! They reeled you in by promising company housing! If you let me tell on them to Mew, I'm sure he'll give them hell!"

Gulf glared at him, and Bright answered by waving his hand back and forth as if to say. "Okay! Okay!"

"Actually, that's the reason I asked you here tonight. I can't afford to stay in a hotel for much longer, and I can't look for an apartment because of the company housing thing. Bright! I'm really sorry to ask you this, but can you let me stay at your place in a while?" Gulf places both hands in the table and bowed his head deeply.

He was fully aware of how rude he was being the gall of coming out of the blue to hit up a friend he hadn't seen 12 years. But he was between a rock and a hard place, and with the company housing still up in the air, and the president asking him to make do until they were ready for him, Bright was the only one he could rely on.

Bright held his cigarette in his mouth, surprised at Gulf suddenly bowing his head so emphatically to him. "Wow...are you in that much trouble?"

"I'm sorry. I just can't afford to pay for the hotel anymore. I know I shouldn't be asking a favor like this so suddenly."

"No, I don't mind. It's a really small one-room apartment, though. And it's kind of dirty."

He didn't care how small or dirty it was. Just as Gulf's eyes begin to gleam at the prospect, Bright continued. "But right now, my girlfriend's there. Well, not just there. We're living together. So, if you're okay with that..."

His girlfriend.

Bright had a girlfriend? That was the first time Gulf had heard of it. Of course, he had known that Bright might have a girlfriend, but the situation had changed now that he knew Bright's girlfriend was living with him. In a one-room apartment, no less. He wondered if he would even be willing to stay there as both freeloader and a third wheel.

He came to the conclusion that there was just no way.

"Okay, never mind then," he said.

"Don't be silly!" Bright exclaimed. "It might be crowded, but as long as we don't ask for too much, we should be okay."

"No, I can't impose on you if you're in that kind of situation."

"You wouldn't be imposing, don't be ridiculous. Aren't we friends?"

"Yes, but you have a person living with you, right? It wouldn't be fair to her if some guy she didn't know suddenly moved in to your cramped, one-room apartment."

As Gulf said 'it wouldn't be fair,' Bright sighed and looked up at the ceiling. "Okay, but I can't just ignore the fact that you're in trouble...I got it! I'll start looking for a cheap business hotel, and you can stay there for the time being. How does that plan sound?"

Of course, any place he could find that was cheaper than here would be great.

"That would help a lot."

"All right, let's do that, then. I'll look on the internet and find a good place for you by tomorrow morning. A condo that rents out by the week might be cheaper, so I'll look for those, too. I'll make sure you have nothing to worry about when you check out tomorrow. Leave it to me!" Bright pounded his chest confidently.

"Thank you so much! I knew I could count on you, Bright," Gulf said gratefully, realizing that Bright was the proverbial 'friend-in-need' this time.

The only wat I'll be able to check out with no worries like Bright put it, might be when the company housing is officially ready, Gulf thought with a bitter smile.

TBC