🌻Chapter 5

🌻

Maybe he didn't hear me, Gulf thought, and repeated himself. "I'm going to work at Slice City Corporation."

"...Why?" Bright tilted his head to one side strangely, as if he didn't understand what Gulf was saying. Somehow, it seemed like his answer had far exceeded what Bright had been expecting.

"What do you mean, why? Just...because."

"...Uhh, but I was the one who told you about that company, right?"

"Yeah..."

It was true that Gulf had heard about the company from him during a phone call last year. Bright had probably just intended to simply inform him about it, but...

"Did you decide to work there because I told you about it?" Bright asked.

"Well, I guess you could say that," Gulf answered.

"But that company only started last year. No one has any idea whether it'll be a success or a total failure! Choosing a company like that is an awfully big gamble."

"Really? I hadn't heard about all that."

So it was a risky move to go with that company, Gulf thought. The image of the office he had just joined rose to the back of his mind. A small building in Kandasurudagai. It was a cozy little office, encircled by cabinets, desks and chairs that were still new. With only 20-employees, it was a small company. It had just been started the year before, apparently a 'gamble,' as Bright said.

Well, no matter what he said, I've already been hired, so it's too late now, Gulf thought.

It seemed like Bright was starting to piece the details together. With a confused look, he cautiously watched Gulf's face, asking, "Could it be that...you joined the company because I told you my brother started it?"

"Well...I didn't think about it right away. But I had been wondering how P'Mew was doing, what his company was like. So I looked up the company's number and gave them a call. Apparently, they had just started to accept job applications, so they mistook me for an applicant. Before I knew it, I had agreed to take the employment test..."

"So, you came all the way to Tokyo to take it?"

"No, when I told them where I lived, they arranged for someone to come give me the test and interview there."

"Wow. I can't believe the company came all the way to you!"

"Since they used their travel expenses to come give me the test, I couldn't really refuse them. They were really enthusiastic, so that's how I ended up getting hired."

"Well, since they're such a new IT company, they probably thought the most they could hope for were some laid-back students from a third-rate university. I'm sure they went out their way for someone like you who was an excellent student from a national university."

Well, they didn't really go out of their way, but Gulf had to admit that the company had been extremely eager to hire him. Besides that, he knew Mew would be there, so that was why Gulf had decided on the company.

"Well, a lot happened, but now that I'm officially hired, I don't regret anything. I just think that you never know where the cards might fall."

"So, have you seen my brother yet?" Bright asked.

"No, I actually thought that P'Mew was the president, but I guess not. I already introduced myself to all the higher-ups, but I haven't seem him yet."

"I must have explained it wrong. He didn't actually start the company, but he's one of its investors. I'm sure he's some kind of executive, but he's involved in the establishment of lots of other companies, so he's probably always running around somewhere," Bright said apologetically.

"Oh, I see."

"I didn't know you were so concerned about my brother. If I had explained things better, maybe you wouldn't be in this situation now. I'm sorry. I'll get a hold of my brother and ask him to make sure you have a good life at the company." Bright bowed his head.

Gulf had never seen Bright act or talk like this way, and began to feel flustered. "W-Why are you apologizing? Knock it off, okay? This is the path I've decided on for myself, and I told you I have no regrets. Also...please don't mention anything about me to P'Mew. I don't want to have any kind of unfair advantage at the office. It would cause trouble for him, and it would feel like I just get the job because of connections. I don't like that."

"Okay, then. But once they know you're an acquaintance of my brother, they'll probably start treating you better at the office, anyway."

"I said I don't like that kind of stuff! Do you think that I picked the company because I had some kind of ulterior motive? Because  I'd have an advantage if P'Mew was there?"

"No, I'm not saying that. All I'm saying is that you have to use everything you can!"

Gulf would rather die than do that. He had always preferred things to be fair and square, trying to live a life that wouldn't bring him any shame. Having that kind of unwanted help would be nothing more than a disgrace to him. Not only that, but if he did ask for some kind of favor, he was afraid of how Mew would react.

"Anyway, dont mention one word about me to P'Mew." he said in a firm voice.

Bright, looking as if he had relented, shrugged his shoulders in exasperation. "Look like you're still stubborn as ever."

"Was I stubborn before?"

"You've always hated anything underhanded ever since we were kids. You had such a one-track mind, it was almost shocking. You were totally stubborn." Bright grinned, and winked at him.

He had only spent one moment with his friend, but Gulf felt like Bright alnost knew him better than he knew himself.

"Well, if that's what you want, I won't say a word. It might be a small, risky company now, but even the most successful IT presidents fron Roppongi Hills had to start from the ground-up, right? That means your company has the same chance, Gulf."

"You're right. I'm not sure how to explain it...but I feel like I'm even motivated because it's a small company. I'll be able to see the direct results of my work, and I can watch the company change right before my eyes. I feel like that's a lot more interesting than being just another cog in a huge company. So that's why I decided on this one." Even as he said this, Gulf knew that Mew's presence in the company had a much greater influence on his decision than anything else. But he knew Bright wouldn't know what to say to that, so he decided to keep it to himself.

TBC