Chapter 39

"Bethany's POV

I smiled as I made my way towards the office building. My secret rendezvous with Harry out of downtown had gone unnoticed by the press. There were pictures all over the internet of me entering the house with him and he leaving with out me. I only made it worse by having Niall drive me home, and so the paps are everywhere. When I got home they were camped outside my building and now they're seated on the sidewalk infront of Smith Inc..

There were dozens of girls screaming my name, asking where Harry was and if they could have pictures. I tried to stop for a few people, but eventually I knew I had to go in. There were so many negative comments towards Harry and I's relationship, I felt myself becoming sad.

If they were real fans, wouldn't they want him to be happy? If I'm making him happy, shouldn't that make them happy?

Those little thoughts were always getting to me. They were always eating at me and making my head want to explode. I wouldn't blame them if they had an actual reason to not like me, but they didn't know me.

After one last picture, I turned and waved politely at the rest of the people standing outside and made my way into the building. There were a few people running around in the lobby, but it was fairly quiet. It was Sunday after all, and most people were at home with their families.

I should be at home, but I needed to get ahead if I had the chance, and today just seemed to be that kind of day. Harry left, obviously needing some alone time. And well, I didn't know when he'd be back so I figured why not get ahead of the ball game if I could.

I waved to the few women who sat behind the desks in the lobby. Thankfully they were nice and gave me gentle waves and smiles. They were older, and I remember most of them telling me they were new mothers or had a few children they were trying to get through schools. They were nice, and I understood why they enjoyed working in the lobby and the receptionist desk. Friendly people greet well, and happy greetings make investors happy.

I made my way into the elevator and pressed the button. When the doors shut, I felt the elevator start to move and ever so slowly, I made my way to the top of the building.

When I reached the top, I realized that no one was here. John was away on business in New York for the next few days, and well... the rest of the board were with him or at home having a day to themselves.

It was quiet up here and very dark compared to how it usually was. The lights in the hallways were off and the doors to all the offices closed. My office was locked tightly, and I groaned when I tried to make my way into the room but ended up not moving an inch. I had to get the keys out of my purse and slipped them in the lock.

Inside I found about a dozen notes that Vanessa had left on my desk. They were mostly reminders of emails to respond to or documents I needed to have signed by the end of the week. I felt myself sink into the plush black chair situated behind my desk before I even noticed I was sitting down.

From two o'clock until 6:30, I read through contracts and offers, either throwing them in the decline pile, or putting them in the ok pile. There were at least 15 that I had to read through, though most of the ones I declined I only read the first page of because they were such bad offers and ideas.

There was one offer I got to at the end of the pile that really had me gasping for air. There was only one thing I wasn't doing at that point and that was breathing.

Vogue.

There was nothing else to say. There was no other emotion to use to describe how I was feeling right now rather than god damn excited. The envelope was clean and very unique. The white was smooth and shiney, obviously there was some kind of glitter covering the outside.