Out of Time Robert Lutece/ Reader

He wasn't talking all that much today. That fact being alarming to you because he was always silent when something was on his mind.

And though something was always on his mind, whatever it was now must be troubling.

You knew Robert.

Knew he loved to share his thoughts with you at any given time of the day. Knew that even if he wasn't sharing them directly with you he would share them with an empty room, needing to get the words in the open and think out loud.

Still, instead of this he sat silent. His long fingers tapping a foreign rhythm on the wooden table. The soft sound almost seeming too loud given the circumstance.

You looked to his face, and though you had been standing there for a good five minutes it seemed as if he hadn't noticed you.

His brow was furrowed, the lines in his forehead becoming more pronounced the longer he thought. His nose occasionally twitching as his fingers continued their drumming on the table.

With a deep breath you spoke.

"Look, I'm no physicist but I'd like to know what's on your mind . . . even I if I won't completely understand."

His fingers ceased their movement on the table. The hand that was resting on his face softly getting placed in his lap, and at this moment you saw the small stubble that was beginning to grow on his chin.

Something must truly be wrong for him to ignore such a thing, he hated not being clean shaven.

"My dear," he sighed out, his hand coming up to slick back his hair, "it isn't that you wouldn't understand it's just . . ."

"Just?"

It was silent again, and instead of some small movement he was still. His eyes not meeting your form at the edge of the table.

"You don't have to tell me but I wan-"

"I'm going to die."

This time it was you who went quiet. Your eyes growing in size at his words.

"I mean we all are right," you whispered out, hoping that this was a joke. A poorly timed, complicated joke.

"True," he muttered, a small chuckle escaping him as he began to stand, "though in this case it is not natural causes. I . . ."

He paused again, looking at you from his spot a couple feet away.

"Rosalind, and myself are going to be murdered in a couple days, and . . . I've been prepared for this moment for years. For years I've accepted this fact and still in all those years, all these different scenarios I've seen. Never once had I expected to meet someone like you. I was content for years with my fate, but now . . ."

Tears had started to prick on the outskirts of your eyes. The man you had been with for five years, the man you share your home with was going to die, had known he was going to die and left you in the dark.

"I don't understand," you spoke, voice cracked and broken, "how do you know this, why are you telling me?"

"I'm not quite sure myself, but part of me felt guilty not telling you. And though I'm not sure if it's the right thing to do, I know that I'm a better man because of you."

Your eyes lingered on the floor, watching as your tears hit the ground, creating tiny puddles.

The room remained as it had minutes ago, silent.

"My dear, please say something."

"You've known this for years?"

"Yes."

"Did you know before you met me?"

". . . Yes . . ."

You took in a sharp inhale, your lungs burning as you resisted the urge to break down.

"That's so ubevelievably selfish," you hissed out through your teeth, "you made me care for you, made a life for the both of us knowing that this would happen."

"Yes  . . ."

"Robert, what do you want me to say?"

Robert stood still, wanting nothing more than to hold you and pretend as if this conversation hadn't happened. He hated seeing you cry and he hated it more because he was the reason for it.

"I'm not sure," he admitted, taking a small step towards you, "but I thought it best that you knew that you changed my life, and made me so unhappy with the inevitable . . . You make me want to try to change it, and even though I'm not sure if I can I'm going to try."

A small laugh left you, "that doesn't make me feel better."

"I-I know," he sighed, finally taking the last few steps that led him to to you, "you change everything. And I'm willing to tear everything apart for you."

He wrapped his arms around you, allowing you to melt into him, his stubble lightly scratching your forehead as you felt him press a kiss there.

"You have to promise me that you'll try," you spoke, voice muffled by the fabric of his shirt.

"You have my word, you know I'll fight to stay by your side I'd truly be lost without you."

You shook your head, craning your neck to look at him, "and you have to save Rosalind too . . . You need someone who actually knows what you're talking about."

A laugh left him, a heartfelt one that filled the room.

"You have my word."