Chapter Thirty-Seven ~ Fortune and Men's Eyes

CJ stands in the Blue and Gold as she and Jughead explain what they saw to Betty and Reggie "Oh, my God, Dilton is dead?" Betty asks

CJ stands in the Blue and Gold as she and Jughead explain what they saw to Betty and Reggie "Oh, my God, Dilton is dead?" Betty asks. "Yeah. And Ben from the drive-in, he's barely hanging on. Doctors don't know when or if he's even gonna wake up. Sheriff Minetta asked us to keep the whole thing hush-hush for the family's sake." CJ tells her. "But, what we saw was..." Jughead rails off "What, Jug?" Betty asks. "It was like a ritual site. Their lips were blue. There were these chalices that were filled with poison or something. Animal bones were in a circle. The tree had markings on it. There was a winged totem with a skull and branches." Jughead explains. "So, was it a murder or a suicide-pact gone wrong?" Reggie asks. "I have no idea." CJ sighs. "I saw Ben and Dilton. They were playing this weird game at Pop's. Dilton was raving about someone called the Gargoyle King. I was also thinking that maybe you and I could investigate this together with Reggie and CJ, for old times' sake. Or at least until we catch a new lead with Archie's case." Jughead tells Betty. "I like that idea. I'll try to see if Dr. Curdle can get us into the coroner's office." Betty responds. "Have more romantic words ever been spoken?" Jughead asks. "No." Betty responds while CJ fake gags. "Shut up CJ, I have to deal with you and Reggie every evening." Jughead playfully glares.

Betty knocks on the door to the coroners office "Dr. Curdle? Oh, you're not..." she trails off. "I'm his son. We spoke over the phone earlier. I took over after my father passed away." Dr Curdle JR explains. "Oh, I'm sorry." Betty tells him. "Do you have the money? The toxicology report revealed lethal levels of cyanide in Mr. Doiley's blood. I surmise the surviving boy didn't drink enough to finish the job." he explains after Betty hands him the money. "Dr. Curdle, if you had to guess, murder or suicide?" Reggie asks. "Well, the body did show signs of stress. Three symbols carved out on his back. Runic, I'd say." Dr Curdle JR tells them. "Would you mind if I got a shot of those?" Jughead asks getting a nod in response. "What caused, uh, the blue lips?" CJ asks as her brother takes pictures. "The cyanide was mixed into a sugary drink called Fresh-Aid. Blueberry flavored. There's something dimly familiar about this. But you asked me before if I thought this was murder or suicide. I'm not sure what it is, but whatever it is, it's darker than what happened to Jason Blossom. Or what the Black Hood did. No, what we're looking at here, I believe, is the true face of evil." Dr Curdle JR tells them.

" Dr Curdle JR tells them