Chapter Forty-Two ~ The Man in Black

CJ sits reading in the living room when the doorbell rings "I got it!" she calls out to everyone in the house

CJ sits reading in the living room when the doorbell rings "I got it!" she calls out to everyone in the house. Opening the door she finds Veronica with her bags "Vee, what's up?" she asks. "Cee, I'm sorry for turning up unannounced. Can I stay here for a while? I can't stay in the say place as my parents." Veronica responds. "Of course, the others won't mind. We have a spare room you can use." CJ tells her. "You CJ Jones are a life saver." Veronica smiles pulling her bags inside. "Boys, we got company!" CJ shouts. The girls here four sets of footsteps before the boys appear in the living room "Ronnie?" Reggie asks. "Vee's going to stay with us for a bit, she doesn't want to be at the Prembrooke." CJ responds. "Okay, we were about to order pizza. Any preferences?" Sweetpea asks. "No pineapple, other than that anything." CJ responds. "I'm fine with whatever." Veronica responds. "I'll show you to your room." CJ tells Veronica. "Thanks." Veronica smiles as CJ takes one of her bags.

The next day CJ sits in her tattoo studio when Veronica and Reggie sit down "What's up, Ronnie? Still bummed about Archie bailing on the world?" Reggie asks

The next day CJ sits in her tattoo studio when Veronica and Reggie sit down "What's up, Ronnie? Still bummed about Archie bailing on the world?" Reggie asks. "That's on my list of woes, yes." Veronica nods. "What else?" CJ asks. "We work all day and all night, and yet we're barely scraping by. The numbers just aren't adding up." Veronica says. "It may not be the Copacabana yet, but business is steady." CJ tells her. "One thing I learned from my father is that steady is one bad week away from broke. We'll never turn a profit selling five-dollar mocktails to high schoolers who sit here all day playing some stupid board game." Veronica says. "So, what you're saying is we need to start a side hustle." Reggie says. "Casino night?" CJ suggests. "I'll get on the phone to Elio." Veronica nods before standing up and walking out. Reggie kisses CJ's head "New tattoo?" he asks. "Mhm, and done." she smiles showing it to him. "You and your Stitch obsession." Reggie chuckles.
Inner left wrist

Casino night, CJ stands with Reggie as they watch Elio win again; CJ grabs Reggie's hand and leads him to Veronica "Veronica

Casino night, CJ stands with Reggie as they watch Elio win again; CJ grabs Reggie's hand and leads him to Veronica "Veronica." Reggie says. "See, Reggie, CJ. This is exactly what we needed. Thanks to Elio, we're gonna pull in bank." Veronica tells the,. "Yeah. Or he's gonna break it." Reggie tells her. "What do you mean?" Veronica asks them. "Your generous friend Elio is on a hot streak. He hasn't lost a single hand all night. He's gonna wipe us out. We're gonna be bankrupt." CJ explains. "I thought the house always wins. How is this happening?" Veronica questions. "He's gotta be cheating." Reggie says. "I'm not surprised, 'cause my father said Elio's a criminal from a family of criminals." Veronica says. "Want me to rough him up? Throw him out?" Reggie sis. "No. That's not how we do things here. Especially not to a member of a crime family. But don't worry. Veronica Lodge is not about to go quietly into the night." Veronica tells them before leading them over to Elio's table.

"Hey, Elio. Big night?" Veronica asks. "I've never had such a run of luck. Hope this doesn't put a huge dent in your take." Elio responds. "You mean our take?" Veronica tells him. "Well, it seems like either way, I win." Elio tells her. "Do yourself a favor, cash out. And walk away while you still can." Veronica says. "Or what? You'll call your father for backup? I heard you weren't even on speaking terms" Elio says as he wins again. "Deal me in." Veronica says. "What are you doing?" Elio asks. "Raising the stakes. One hand of blackjack, winner takes all. Just you and me." Veronica tells him. "What am I playing for?" Elio asks her. "This. The deed to Pop's. And, by extension, half of La Bonne Nuit." Veronica explains holding up the deed. "Fine. You asked for it. Let's play." Elio says. "Twenty. Nineteen." the dealer says handing out the cards. "I'll tell you what, you'll always be welcome at my speakeasy. I might even rename it Veronica's." Elio smirks. "The game's not over yet." Veronica tells him. "Trust me, princess. It's over." Elio retorts. "Hit me." Veronica tells the dealer. "Twenty-one. Ms. Lodge wins." the dealer says as everyone applauds. "That... That's impossible." Elio stammers. "Why, Elio? The house always wins. Isn't that what they say?" Veronica asks. CJ smiles and picks up the red before following Veronica.

After everyone has left the three of them look at the mine "We made some serious coin, Vee." CJ smiles. "We did. We're in the black. It was a very successful night." Veronica smiles back. "You could have lost it all, you know? But you didn't. You pulled it off. I swear, I thought Elio was cheating." Reggie says. "Can you keep a secret?" Veronica asks making them nod at her "A couple of hours before we opened the doors to casino night, my father summoned me to his study." she continues before explaining what she did. "Wow!" CJ laughs. "So, you scammed the scammer." Reggie smiles. "Oh, Reginald, CJ, it doesn't matter how you win, so long as you're the last woman standing." Veronica says.

That night CJ lies in bed when Reggie walks in from his shower "What you thinking about baby?" he asks lying next to her. "I just hope that Jug and Arch are alright." CJ sighs. "Me too baby." Reggie responds kissing her head. Smiling CJ snuggles into his chest and rests her head on his shoulder"I just wish there is something I can do." she explains. "I know but we need to make sure that it's safe for Archie to come back." Reggie says. CJ nods into his neck and cuddles closer as Reggie kisses the top of her head softly.