Chapter Four ~ The Last Picture Show

A couple days after Chuck's suspension CJ wakes up screaming, after another nightmare about Chuck. "CJ? CJ!" Jughead calls out as he walks through the doorway and out the bathroom. Once he sees the state she's in he rushes over to her and holds her close as she cries. "I got you sis. I got you, you're okay. You're safe." he tells her gently rocking back and forth. Slowly she calms down and looks at her phone. "J-jug." she says showing him the notification that had popped up.

CJ and Jughead sit in Pop's with Veronica, Betty and Kevin

CJ and Jughead sit in Pop's with Veronica, Betty and Kevin. "The drive-in closing, it's just one more nail in the coffin that is Riverdale. No. Forget Riverdale. In the coffin of the American dream. As the godfather of indie cinema, Quentin Tarantino, likes to say--" Jughead starts. "Please, God, no more Quentin Tarantino references." Kevin butts in. "What? I'm pissed. And not just about losing my job. The Twilight Drive-In should mean something to us. People should be trying to save it." Jughead continues with CJ nodding while drawing a design in her book.

"In this age of Netflix and VOD, do people really want to watch a movie in a car? I mean, who even goes there?" Veronica asks. "People who want to buy crack." Kevin tells her making CJ glare at him. "And cinephiles and car enthusiasts, right, Betts?" CJ says. "Totally." Betty smiles. "Anyway, it's closing because the town owns it but didn't invest in it. So when an anonymous buyer made Mayor McCoy an offer she couldn't refuse--" Jughead continues.

"Anonymous buyer? What do they have to hide? No one cares." Kevin asks. "I do." CJ says. "You guys should come to closing night. I'm thinking American Graffiti. Or is that too obvious?" Jughead asks the group. "I vote for anything starring Audrey Hepburn. Or Cate Blanchett." Veronica says. "Or the talented Mr Ripley." Kevin adds. "Marilyn Monroe." CJ blurts out smiling. Jughead laughs "You and Miss Monroe." CJ giggles. "I'll be right back." she tells them getting up and going over to Pop.

"Have you got any jobs going Pop?" she asks the older man. "Yeah of course CJ. I'll give you a rota when you pop in tonight." he tells her with a smile. "Thanks Pop." she smiles before spotting Mrs Lodge struggling with a tray. "Here Mrs Lodge, I'll give you a hand." she says taking a couple of the things off the tray. "Oh Thank You..." "CJ. I might as well get use to it. I'm joining the staff." "Well then. Call me Hermione dear." she tells the teen as they get to CJ's table. "Here you go kids." Hermione says putting down the tray and handing them their stuff.

"Thanks Mom." Veronica smiles. "I'll see you tonight CJ." Hermione says with a smile as CJ sits back in her seat. Hermione turns away as they all hear Cheryl talking to Tanya and Ginger. "If I would have known Mama Lodge was working at Pop's, I never would've given Veronica a spot on the Vixens. It's off-brand, a false message about acceptance. After her TMZ-style take down of Chuck, all the Vixens like Veronica now." Cheryl tells them. "Do they?" "Be sure to put all that cash in the register. You are a Lodge, after all. And Lodges are known to have sticky fingers." Cheryl says as Hermione takes the money for their stuff. "Cheryl." Veronica starts. "Honey, I got this." Hermione tells her. "I went to school with your mother. She didn't know the difference between having money and having class either." she tells Cheryl before walking off.