5. That's My Brother For You

Hailey - Italic
Jake - Underline

Hailey - ItalicJake - Underline

HAILEY'S POV:

I hung up on him again. I just couldn't be on the phone any longer. I could feel the hot tears as they rolled down my cheek. This is stupid I shouldn't even be this sensitive. I don't even know why I just told him that. I mean I've known him for a week. I don't even talk to guys, let alone befriend one. Wait, Friend? Are we even friends? All I know is I am going to avoid him for a while. He'll get bored when he realizes I won't answer his calls. Right? I just want to pick up the phone and call him back. I just want to have our stupid pointless conversations. Now I have ruined it. He probably thinks I am a typically emotional and annoying teenage girl. Just as I was about to reach for my phone there was a knock on my door.

"Come in"

"There is my favorite little sister."

"Jake, I am your only sister."

"All the more reason as to why you're my favorite. So tell me Hails, why the long face and the tears? Who do I need to go beat the shit out of this time?"

I couldn't help but laugh at my brother's comment. He has always been way too overprotective. It is the reason why I have never had a boyfriend. That's right seventeen years old and a senior in high school and I have never had a boyfriend. I am one of those stupid girls who are clouded by a crush. The one person who will never want me.

"It's not like that. I was talking to a friend and we were just talking about something. Stupid me I just got upset that's all."

"I'm going to text Katie right now and tell her to stop making you upset."

"I wasn't talking to Katie."

"Oh, really? Has my sister made a new friend? The only person you talk to is me and Katie. Anyhoo...What's her name?"

"Uhhh... her name is...umm...?"

"It is a girl right?"

"..."

"HAILEY MARIE DAWSON!! What is his name?!"

"Uhh...well...you see... I- I don't know his name."

I can see the facial expression on my brother's face and he is not happy. Lecturing starting in...

3

2

1

"How do you not know his name? Did you meet him on the internet? You know how unsafe that is. He could be a predator! God, Hails you are a smart girl and this...this is not smart. How long have you been talking to him?"

I watch as he paces back and forward in front of my bed. I know that he is only looking out for me. But my god he is not my parent. I was starting to get irritated.

"First of all...I didn't meet him on the internet. Last friday he accidentally dialled my number instead of his mothers. We have been talking for a week pretty much everyday. It's not like I am planning on meeting. We are just passing time, and I am trying something new. I don't need to be lectured by the one person I trust most. You are not mom or dad, you are my brother. So if you are going to continue then please by all means leave!"

"I didn't mean to lecture you Hailey. It's just you know there are some sick twisted motherfuckers out there. I just want to make sure you are safe. I don't want anything to happen to you. I'm sorry."

"I know. I'm sorry too. I really hate when you start acting like a mature adult."

"I have to grow up sometime. At least that's what dad keeps telling me. I quote "You are 21 years old and going on your third year of college. Start acting like it" I love you Hails."

*laughing*
"That sounds just like him. I love you too Jake and Bake."

"Yeah, practice makes perfect. It came in handy when the principal would call the house. Jeez you just called me Jake and Bake that's supposed to be a secret."

"True. Come on Jake your smoking stopped being a secret when you got caught in your junior year smoking under the bleachers at school. And you say I'm not smart. I am the smartest out of the both of us and you know it."

"We have promised never to mention that. But I'll give it to you, you are smarter than I was at your age. Come on, let's go downstairs and see what there is to eat. I'm starving."

"You're always hungry.

"I am a growing boy."

"Are you sure about that? Is it your stomach talking or the weed?"

"Why you little-"

Before he could catch me I had already made it out of my room onto the stairs. As much as a pain in the ass he is. I am sure glad I have him.

 I am sure glad I have him