Part 15🌸

After I ran out the door I just went home. I locked myself in my room and didn't come out. I called Sam and told him I wouldn't be at practice today, and he understood. I watched sad movies like the Titanic and The Notebook, and just cried myself to sleep.

Kristy called me and told me about the big meeting with all of the parents in Stoneybrook, and told me to prepare what I was going to say to the parents about the picture.

I thought about it all night and finally got something put together for today.

Stacey- that video you just saw was me going into insulin shock. Shortly after my diabetes was diagnosed in April.
Lilliana- and the picture you saw of me was real... I was diagnosed with anorexia when I was around 12 or 13. It wasn't something I chose to do, I was never really good at eating. Ever since I was young I could only hold a certain amount of food in me before it all came back up.
Stacey- they were sent to you by the agency to try and convince you not to trust our club. I know it looks bad but we're much better now. I know how to take care of myself, and I know how to take care of your kids.
Lilliana- and I have gotten way better at eating than I have in a while. I used to eat one or two apples a day, but now I eat a full meal and at least one fruit of some sort everyday. I know the proper way to keep your kids healthy
Woman- I am so sorry that this happened, but I need to know my kids won't wind up in an unsafe situation, or that they will eat enough food so something doesn't happen to them
Another woman- what about medical equipment?
Man- it could be dangerous if a child came into contact with it right?
Woman- I guess the question is, can we really be sure Stacey won't have another episode like this, or Lilli won't pass out from not eating enough?
Stacey- the truth is you can't. If you don't feel comfortable with us as a sitter, we'll understand
Lilliana- but please don't punish the rest of the club for it. Maybe they're younger, and maybe they can't stay out as late as the BSA and I can, but they care. If it makes you feel any better, I'll resign from the babysitters club.
Stacey- I will too...

The other girls looked at us with sad faces. Then a woman I recognized from somewhere stood up.

Woman- I don't think that's necessary... hi I think I know most of you. I'm Peggy Johansson. I'm Charlotte's mom. I'm also an endocrinology specialist at Stamford Presbyterian, and I noticed Stacey's insulin pump right away. Did you know that Stacey?

She shook her head.

Peggy- I witnessed her manage her symptoms while looking after Charlotte. If anything, Stacey is more mature than most kids her age, given her health challenges, and Charlotte's always asking when she'll come back to play, with her kid kit.
Kristy- which is something all of our sitters bring to each of our jobs. It's apart of what makes the club so special.

Then I saw someone familiar stand up. It was Tyler's mom.

Melissa- hi! I'm Melissa Sharon, Tyler's mom. When Lilli came to sit for Tyler he was really excited when he noticed she had brought her guitar with her. She's always carrying around a small backpack with her that has water and a small snack just in case she needs it. I came home the first night that Lilli sat for him and he told me about all the songs she sang to him, and that she gave him a song book of his own so he could make his own music. He told me that she's in a band with some of her friends and he really wanted to go see them play. The next time she came over she took him on a walk and took him to her band practice, they played him some songs and he told me while I was putting him to bed that he wanted to be like her when he grew up.

I smiled at the woman and she smiled back and winked.

Man- when Claudia babysits for Eleanor and Nina, we always come home to some art project they made or hear about all the books Mary Anne read to them. I haven't noticed that with the agency
Woman- every time Kristy sits for my son Jackie, they run soccer drills at the park. One time I told him to go to bed, and he said 'You're not the boss of me, coach Kristy is'

We all laughed.

Woman- we just needed someone who could stay late sometimes, so that's why we use the agency
Lilliana- I can...
Kristy- the BSA is who tried to bully Lilli and Stacey... is that really the example you want to set for your kids?

Everyone went silent as they thought about the point Kristy made.

Kristy- look, we'll work on the curfew thing, right mom?
Liz- we'll talk about it.

We all laughed.

Kristy- in the meantime, we're still offering special rates for our loyal customers.
Liz- *laughing* god, I'm so sorry

Claudia stood up and grabbed Stacey's hand and then sat back down. I looked around the room and smiled.

Later that day I was sitting in my room talking to Sam on the phone. Stacey then walked in my doorway and knocked on the wall. I sighed and told Sam to wait a minute. I muted myself on the call.

Lilliana- what do you want?
Stacey- look, I'm sorry. I shouldn't like Sam when I know that you do. He is meant for you, and it's obvious the both of you are totally falling for each other. Plus, he's too old for me anyway

I laughed at what she said and stood up. I walked over to her and gave her a hug.

Lilliana- it's ok Stace. You'll find your man, trust me
Stacey- I hope I do... in the meantime, I want to style some outfits with you, and I thought about putting jewels on my pump.
Lilliana- oooo fancy!

I laughed and nodded. She went to her room and got some stuff out. I walked back over to my phone.

Lilliana- hey Sam, I gotta go...
Sam- that's ok! Everything alright?
Lilliana- I fixed things with Stacey, not my mom...
Sam- don't worry, you'll talk to her eventually
Lilliana- *giggle* yeah... alright well bye!
Sam- bye! I'll see you tomorrow!
Lilliana- yup!

I walked over to Stacey's room and looked at the clothes. We styled different outfits and put jewels on her pump. Then my mom walked in...

Mom- great top Stace. Oh

She said that once she noticed Stacey's pump was showing. Then my dad walked in.

Stacey- what do you think?
Mom- uh...
Dad- awesome. What? My daughters are awesome

We both smiled at my dad.

Dad- you gotta do that to my work phone.
Stacey- it was all Lilli
Lilliana- will do, dad
Dad- yes! Now I'll be the cool guy in the office

He looked at my mom and cleared his throat and said he was going to go make dinner. He asked if I wanted some and I said sure. Then he walked away. Stacey and I walked up to my mom.

Lilliana- it's cute right?
Mom- it's blue
Stacey- mom, Lilli and I aren't ashamed of our sicknesses anymore, and neither should you.
Mom- ashamed? No.

She walked up to Stacey and put her hands on her shoulder.

Mom- I wanted to protect you from ever getting hurt again, but ashamed of you? Never.

I could tell this was aimed at Stacey so I looked down and went to walk out of Stacey's room. Before I walked away, I turned around and saw my mom and Stacey hugging. I sighed and walked away. I walked downstairs and into the kitchen and sat down by the island. My dad noticed I was upset so he stopped what he was doing and sat down next to me. A tear rolled down my cheek and I quickly wiped it with my hand.

Dad- what's the matter kiddo?

Should I tell him the truth?