S1E13: Survival of the Fittest ...Lord of the Flies

ACT I [EXT. / WESTERN DESERT / YESTERDAY]

The scorching heat of day can be felt all throughout the Western Desert of Egypt. No inhabitant is spared from the sun's brimming fury, and yet they continue to push on in life. This includes a group of Immobian hamadryas baboons. They're all nomads, treading the vast desert via camel-back. Judging by the amount of footsteps being left behind, they've been travelling for quite a good deal of time. That being the case, the nomads soon stop to let their camels rest a bit, as well as keep themselves hydrated.

As the primates make due with the heat, a lone creature is seen observing them from above. Said creature is a one-eyed, crystalline fly -- and one of a kind, this is not. Making its landing on top of a neighboring dune, this strange looking insect stands idly, preparing itself for something utterly bizarre. After a few moments, its single eye begins to glow brightly, soon developing into a large flash of purple light. The flash catches the attention of the nomads, who quickly evade their gaze from the intense brightness. As soon as the light ceases, they look to see something in the distance.

Peering closely, it appears to be some sort of red haired primate, holding a pair of... shekeres? The nomads are a tad wary of taking a closer look, unsure of what to make of an ape that just appeared out of scenic nowhere. Instead of that, the Ape Nightmare comes over to them, doing so by manifesting a large cloud to ride on. This is achieved by simply shaking its shekeres, as it plays them with a rhythmic flow. The Nightmare floats over to the baboons, who are all shock-and-awed by what they're seeing right now.

Further displaying its power, the shekere playing ape manipulates the cloud it's on to split into several pieces. After being scattered a few feet apart from one another, the clouds begin to darken a bit and soon let out an instant pour of rain. Rain? In the desert of all places? This leaves the nomads utterly flabbergasted, but gradually amazed given the harsh conditions they're in. Not wanting to pass up an opportunity such as this, the nomads beat the heat with the pouring clouds -- bringing along their camels as well. Once right under them, they take off their head robes for a better feel of each cooling drop.

Initially wary of the Ape Nightmare, the baboons are now enjoying its company -- and some even dance to its music. Others even take out their instruments and play alongside it, complementing the shekeres with a xylophone, zither, and flute. Finding its first ever audience rather pleasing -- as well as extra musicians -- the ape continues to play for them. And not wanting to get them too wet, it ceases the rain while still keeping them shaded under the clouds, which gradually darken some more overtime. Within the span of a few minutes, the ape is just nearing the end of its composition. Not wanting to disappoint, it makes sure to end it with a bang.

"Bang" as in a series of lightning bolts that strikes each and everyone under a chosen cloud. Not one person is spared, not even the camels. With its composition come to a close, the ape manipulates the split clouds to come back and reaccumulate with the original. This unveils to the sun's glare multiple burnt bodies on the ground -- some paralyzed, others... worse. Such a sight invokes only laughter from the Ape Nightmare, barely able to contain itself. Getting that out of its system, the ape leaves the charred bodies to further bake under the heat, eager to find a brand new audience. And accompanying the Nightmare is its very own Watcherfly, laying right on top of its head. Having observed the whole thing from start to finish, the fly is just as eager to observe more.

>> >> >> NOW LOADING...

ACT II [EXT. / SKY / CRACK O' DAWN]

As for a different Watcherfly, it's currently inhabiting the desert of Libya, following a long stretch of road. It's been doing so for quite some time, and with its remarkable vision, the cycloptic insect sees where the trail of asphalt leads. Many, many miles away lies a town, plentifully populated with potential playmates.