32.

He wasn't exactly sure why he was going to Joe's. They had screamed at each other and he had made her leave. But he had told her weeks ago that he would be at her birthday party and he didn't want to make things worse. He was more than nervous as he walked into the bar and ran into Addison.

"Hey Derek." Addison walked up, a martini in her hand. "How are you?"

"I'm fine I guess." He sighed, looking around the bar for Meredith.

"I heard about the fight." Addison frowned, as she followed his gaze to Meredith at the bar with Izzie.

"It wasn't pretty."

"I know." Addison replied, "She's fine if you ask her but she's been drunk for almost twenty four hours."

"Since the fight?" Derek asked.

"Yeah....Lexie called last night and invited me other for drinks...Mer drank a lot and told us about the fight." Addison sighed.

"I shouldn't have given her that necklace." Derek shook his head, rubbing his temples.

"Derek...it was a gift....you shouldn't be upset."

"I can't not be upset."

"It's not your fault...besides Thatcher's been giving the girls a hard time again...so I think everything's piling up...it scared her." Addison shrugged.

"It is my fault. I should have known not to get involved."

"Derek you know not getting involved with Meredith wasn't an option for you."

"She warned me. Mark warned me. But I didn't listen."

"And what now?" Addison replied.

"Now I'm in love with her and she doesn't want anything."

"Derek....go see her." Addison rolled her eyes.

"I probably should at least tell her happy birthday." Derek agreed.

"Probably." Addison groaned, "Besides I told Mark I'd meet him in the bathroom."

"I'll see you later." Derek laughed softly.

"Bye." Addison giggled, watching her friend approach Meredith.

"Meredith...Hi..." Derek breathed, walking up to her.

"Derek...Iz...it's Derek." Meredith clapped, nearly spilling her drink.

"Careful Mer..." Izzie frowned, moving Meredith's drink to the bar. "Hi Derek."

"Hey Izzie." Derek smiled.

"I'm leaving you too alone." Izzie stood, taking her drink with her. "She's had quite a few."

"Thanks." Derek nodded, sitting down on Izzie's stool.

"Izzie...." Meredith frowned as her friend rushed away.

"I just wanted to tell you happy birthday." Derek said.

"Oh."

"Yeah...so...I hope it's been a good day."

"Tequila please!" Meredith shouted to the bartender.

"I think...never mind." Derek said, second guessing his idea to stop her drinking.

"Here you go birthday girl." Joe winked, "Be careful."

"I'm always careful Joe." Meredith giggled.