8.

He had to find her. He had kissed her and she had kissed him back. But then she had run away. She had freaked out and run away from him and avoided him for the rest of the wedding reception. So he had to find her. He had to find her and make sure that she was okay. He didn't mean to come on that strong. He wasn't that kind of guy and didn't want her to get the wrong impression whether she said yes to going out with him or not.

He was worried before he went to find her but got even more worried when he she didn't answer her hotel room door. He had no idea where she could be. So instead of continuing to run around the hotel he decided to take a walk on the beach. It was late at night and there would be nobody out there so he could think. He started to walk down the beach when he spotted a small figure sitting on the steps of a lifeguard stand, making it out as Meredith as he got closer.

"What are you doing out here all alone?" Derek asked, walking up to her as she stared out at the ocean.

"Nothing." She shrugged, watching as the waves hit the sand.

"I um...just wanted to make sure...you're okay."

"I'm fine."

"You didn't seem fine when you ran out of the reception." He sighed, sitting down next to her.

"Sorry...."

"You don't have to apologize. I just want to make sure I didn't upset you or something."

"No you didn't." Meredith giggled a little. "Even if you did break all of the rules."

"Yeah. Sorry about that." Derek laughed.

"It's okay....your allowed to break them once, that was your freebie."

"Good to know. Now I don't have to feel bad."

"I'm sure you'll follow them now."

"I didn't say that." Derek laughed.

"You should."

"I'll keep that in mind."

"Do you think Mark and Addison are happy? Like forever happy...."

"I think...Yeah I do. I've known Mark for a long time and I've never seen him like over another girl. Addison...she's good for him."

"That's...that's really good." Meredith whispered.

"What do you think about Mark and Addison?" Derek asked.

"It's....doesn't matter." Meredith shrugged as she looked over to him.

"They're happy." Derek looked back at her.

"That's good...that they are."

"So you really don't think it's possible to be in a happy relationship?"

"Nope." She giggled.

"That's...depressing." He laughed.

"Realistic."

"My parents were together for 26 years until my dad died."

"Rare."

"But it does happen."

"It's really fresh and...it's really nice out here."

"Nice try to change the subject, Mer." Derek laughed.

"So, in Seattle....."

"What about Seattle?"

"Do you hang out with um...Mark and Addison a lot?" Meredith asked, looking away from him.