Prologue: In a Daze

Prologue: In a daze

It felt like electricity every time. Every time he ran his fingers lightly over my back. Every time he kissed my neck. Pulled me too him. He was a hard individual to know, to love but, here alone, with me, he was perfect. The right kind of roughness, on top of a soft interior. He knew how to treat a woman. Kissing me deeply he pulled me back toward his bed. It was like this every night. He would invite me over after he was finished with work. He would make dinner and we would share the meal. Talk. Every night ended in passion. It was perfect, like a dream. We couldn't get enough of each other. Pushing him back down on the mattress I climbed over him. I knew where this would lead. Leaning down to claim another kiss, he stops me. His hand against the side of my face, closing my eyes I lean into his hand enjoying the warmth.

"Tell me what you know." a voice breaks the silence, one that it not his. My eyes snap open and I am blinded by light. Looking around in panic I gasp for air. The apartment has dissolved around me and I am now in a dark and damp barn. People surrounded the platform in the middle. I had been tied to a chair in the center of the platform. A shadowy figure now towered over me. A fist connected with my jaw causing my head to whip back. Reality. My mind clouded.

"Tell us what you know!" the voice shouted at me this time. The hit woke me up fully and I had to shake my mind clear. I must have passed out or put myself in a dreamlike state to numb the pain. This was the first real predicament of my life. Tied to a chair surrounded by an enemy faction. Well my now enemy faction. All of them looking in waiting, waiting for me to spill my guts to the shadowy figure in front of me. Waiting for me to tell them what I knew. In reality I knew nothing at this point. My head was too foggy to remember how I even got tied to the chair. My hands were tied behind my back but not to the chair. I took mental note of that before flexing my legs to test the bounds there. My feet were lightly tied to the chairs. Trust me this is not how I intended to spend my evening. I wanted to be back in his apartment, with him.

Ignoring the shadowy figures requisition for information again I tried to force myself back into my dream like state. My mind tried to sort out what had happened before I woke up in this barn. It was all problematic up to this point, that was all that I knew and that the shadowy figure and those around me were my enemies. Another hit landed on my face when I remained silent. Darkness flooded my mind and I tried to grasp at it. I wanted him to knock me out, finish it. End my suffering. Lead me back to my dreams of him.

I looked up at the shadowy figure raging holy hell on my face. Asking for answers that my foggy head could not give. I shook my head, looking away from him. I was in too much of a daze to see the answers he wanted. Even if I had them, I knew I wouldn't give them over to him. Wait who was this guy anyway? The one beating me up. He was tall and wore all grey. His eyes were black but his face eluded me at that moment. Damn this foggy brain. "Wake up!" I screamed to myself. I knew not to panic, we were taught to stay calm, so I would in this moment. Looking back up at him, I tried to think of who he was but was soon rewarded with another hit the face.

"Maybe we should use more extreme measures?" a voice from the crowd mentioned. Extreme? What the hell did that mean, I was tied to a chair, with no way to defend myself. Wasn't that extreme enough? A boy was called over by a pair of figures that stood in the distance. They had said something to the boy and he was gone. This whole day was hell. I could only imagine what they had in store for me before the days end. None of this made any sense. I tried to get my mind to focus, to clear itself. Smack. I was being hit again, over and over. I had faced my fair share of beatings in the past but this was overkill in my mind. Can I just tap out now and take a nap. I groaned leaning back in the chair looking up at the figure towering over me. That face, I knew him, who was he? I said seen him before. "Think!" my mind screamed again.