Chapter 7

I don't know how we got past that awkward situation, but somehow, we started to talk about their previous missions. Nat, Wanda, and Bucky told me stories about the other guys. We were having fun. I had forgotten how much laughing really trains your abs and hurts your cheeks. It was the best night, that I could remember. At some point Sam joined our group and started to tell a story about Bucky and I could see him getting embarrassed. The music was playing, we were getting tipsy, and it was all amazing. I couldn't believe that just yesterday I was chained in a laboratory, researched by some military men and the doc. In that jail I felt like the loneliest person in the world and now I have these people around me. When I think about the jail and the experiments, a tear fells on my cheek. Bucky is the first one to see it, but before he has a chance to do anything about it, Tony joins us with Pepper and he asks me, "Are you having second thoughts about the dress or what's wrong?"

Pepper hits Tony on his arm. She gives me a tissue and says, "Hi, I'm Pepper. Is everything ok, sweety?". I explain them that I haven't really ever had friends. I have always concentrated on my studies. And to think about it I don't really remember my life before the university. I don't have any family either. I have pictures of my parents and I have seen the news articles about the car accident. I was also in the car but apparently, I was the only one that survived. I was about five then, so I grew up in the system. "I guess, I didn't have that much good time growing up, because I can't really remember it. My memories start basically from university, which is funny because I believe that usually people forgot that period of their lives.", I explain. Everyone laughs. "You don't have to worry about being alone anymore", Tony says, "You can stay here as long as you want.".

"What, you really mean it?", I start to say, and then he pulls me into a hug. "Don't still think that it's going to be all parties and new dresses all the time.", he says sarcastically and winks at me. He then holds Pepper's hand and start to walk away. "Welcome to the family, sweety.", Peppers says before they go to talk some people.

I turn to Wanda and Nat and realize that they have the same grin on their face. Nothing could bring me down right now. I am so happy. It's really late and people are getting really drunk. Well, except Thor and Loki. They can hold their 'earthly liquors', as Thor calls them. I know I have taken quite many drinks, but I still haven't got past that tipsy face. Nat suggests that we should play a game. First idea was "Never have I ever", but since there is me and Bucky, that really can't remember our pasts, we settle on "Truth or dare". First, I thought it is kind of childish but after seeing Barton, Tony, and Steve been dared to lift Thor's hammer and failing, it is starting to get fun. I get some new information about people. No one has really asked me anything and I really didn't want to do any dares. "Hailey, truth or dare?", Wanda asks. Some of the guys are pushing me to say 'dare'. I look quickly at Bucky; he is looking at me and he smirks just like in the showers earlier. "Dare.", I say confidently. Wanda smiles and says, "Kiss the hottest guy in the room.". Thor is smiling. Loki sits up, showing that he is ready. Steve and Sam are looking at each other. I stand up. Walk past all of them, sit in Bucky's lap facing him. I really shouldn't do this in the dress that is already probably too short. I take his face between my hands and kiss him slowly. He puts his hands on my back and kisses me back. I don't see it, but some of the other guys show some disappointment on their faces. Nat and Wanda are looking at each other. I pull away from Bucky and walk to my seat. "So, Thor, truth or dare?", I ask, like nothing just happened.

We keep playing for a while and we see Nat and Steve kissing really passionately, Wanda telling out loud about her feelings towards Vision. They kissed after that; it was really cute. Tony looks at me and says, "Hailey, truth or...". I interrupt him and say immediately 'dare'. Who knows, I could end up kissing Bucky again. I glance at him, and I think he had the exact same thought in his head. "Try to lift Thor's hammer.", Tony dares me. "Didn't we already see enough attempts on that?", I ask. I look at Thor and he nods towards the hammer. "Be gentle, Mjolnir is precious to me.", he laughs. I can't believe that I am even doing this. I step up to the hammer. I think to myself, that this is stupid. If Steve could not pick it up, how could I. Everyone looks at me and are ready to joke about the fact that only Thor can lift it because "He is worthy.". I place my hand through the leather handle and take a hold of the hammer. Suddenly my skin starts to glow. There are markings on my arms. They look like letters, but I don't know what kind of language this is. If they were black, I would have said that they look like tattoos, but they are literally light. Not bright yellow light, like from a light bulb, but reddish like fire. I am still gripping the hammer and with one little movement of my hand, I am holding Mjolnir in my hand. I lift the hammer on my eye-level. I am actually looking at Thor's hammer in my hand. I don't know what to say or to do. Thor and Loki are both standing. Tony is gasping air. Steve, Bucky, and Sam are all looking at each other. For some reason I turn to Thor, give him the hammer, sit on my seat, and start looking at my hands. The glow is dimming down, but I can still see some markings. "What are they?", I ask. Thor and Loki look at each other and in unison say, "Asgardian runes!".

At the same moment when I touched the hammer first, I felt a headache starting. Suddenly the headache spikes and I put my head into my hands. I close my eyes and pictures start flashing in my mind. Thor and Loki, but younger. Some old man with white beard. A lovely woman looking straight at me, with pure love in her eyes. I see in my mind something flying on my shoulder and realize that there is this gorgeous bright red bird on my shoulder. It looks like it is on fire, but I realize that they are just feathers. I can see more of those birds, and I hear the one on my shoulder calling the others. That sound. I think I have heard it before. It sounds calming but strong, like smooth song that calms you instantly. I know that sound! I open my eyes quickly, lift my head and whisper without looking at anyone, "The phoenixes!"