Chapter 1

She never wanted to be in this position. She was born to fulfill a destiny. Destiny that she never wanted for herself. All she ever wanted was to have a home. To spend her life with her family and loved ones. Feel the joy, happiness, and bliss of being in love. But all of this was denied from her. The decision was made for her before she was even born. The decision to pay all that was done wrong. And what was the price? Her life. And she would soon figure this out.

It all started a long time ago, but today was the breaking point. When I woke up in morning, I had the worst headache of my life. I am in one of their jail-like cells. I am laying on a hard steel bed. There are no blankets, no pillows and nothing softening the bed. I am their experiment so why would they make my stay more comfortable. My head is killing me. Last night they did more of their experiments. I remember sitting in a chair, my hands were tied up, they injected something pinkish-purple substance in me. I couldn't move or fight against them, because of the ties and because there were five of them just holding me down. I do not blame them. Last time I was able to get out of the little strings that they used to bind me and threw one of the men to the others side of the room. I think he is still unconscious. Their experiments are starting to work, I am getting stronger and that might be the reason why they upgraded the security.

When the doc was finished with the injections, they all left the room. I could still see them through the thick glass. They are too afraid to study the effects closer now. I started to feel something happening. It started in the spot of the injections but soon enough I felt the burning through my whole body. I started to scream. I am on the edge of the chair, still tied up. This isn't the first time my body has gone through this kind of effects after their experiments, but for some reason they look now more scared than before. I can feel burning on my skin. It doesn't hurt. It mostly feels like getting under a warm blanket in winter day. Sometimes I wonder how I still remember what normal life feels like. I feel the warmth but just few minutes later I feel like my brain is getting too hot and I fell into the chair, scared, unable to move and soon enough unconscious. I guess they brought me to my cell after that.

My headache is starting to be more tolerable. It is still there, but I have learned to manage this state of pain. This is not the first time waking up with a headache. I look at my hands and I don't see any burns. Was I dreaming all of that? No. The guards had more protection with them when they came to bring me my breakfast. One of them even had a fire extinguisher with them. Last night was real and the guards are scared. The breakfast is the same as always. Beige mush of something that I still have not recognized. I take a bite but spit it out immediately. It is just like every other day. It tastes like they scraped it from the floor.

The doc visited me around noon. "And how are we doing today?", he asked with a hint of enthusiasm. "Are you ready to be examined peacefully?"

"If I had not been ready to do that before, why do you think that today is special?", I asked with a smirk on my face. I walk towards the doc and the guard behind him is taking a stronger grip of his taser. I look into the doc's eyes. I feel a rush of anger through my body and for some reason he startles. He notices the confusion on my face and his face changes from startled to excited.

"You still don't know what is going on in your body, don't you dear?", he asks with a smile. "You must know what we are trying to achieve. You have studied this yourself in the university, haven't you?"

"In university?", I think to myself. How does this man know what I have done with my life? I did go to university, and I majored in biochemical engineering. I turn away from them and start to go through my studies and my research in the lab. I think about my thesis and still don't understand. My studies never involved trials with people or with animals. I did mostly theoretical studies, but some of them could be used to enhance plant's endurance in extreme circumstances. But why would they study this on humans? While I was going through the reasons, one of the guards hit me with their taser and I fell to the ground. I hit my head and next time I woke up; I was again in the chair.