4.1 - luke

possible trigger warning

4.1 - luke

Luke was sat in the hallway as he waited for his voice lessons to start. He always liked being early, his mother knew this and followed through with his wishes as she drove him to his various lessons.

His voice recently dropped, and him and his voice teacher had to start working on the new alto notes he was able to reach to.

Luke rested his head against the wall behind him, his eyes casting over the tacky-printed carpet below his feet. His stomach felt tight and his cheeks did too. He didn't really know how to describe the feeling, it was like one million punches were being thrown into his body, he prayed it wasn't his other half.

"Make sure you kiss your knuckles before you punch me in the face," he whisper-sung his favorite lyrics of The Front Bottoms. Luke was a cheerful thirteen year old, he bobbed his head from left to right as the imaginary music played in his head.

The grey muscle tee that clung to his body started to itch as he moved his denim coat away, itching the spot that wouldn't stop.

He furrowed his eyebrows, looking at the skin that was once pale and beautiful as it quickly changed to purples and blues. Has this always been here? He wondered.

He fully took off his coat, folding it and placing it on the bench next to him. Luke took the guitar case from between his legs and placed it on the bench as well. He lifted up his muscle tee, knowing he didn't need to feel insecure when no one was around.

He was met with more brushes in the shapes of knuckles appearing on his body slowly yet right before his eyes. He pressed his fingers to one below his rib, moving the skin around and watching as the color radiated a painful-looking color. It had to be his soulmate, even though he wished it was not.

Luke let out a cry as he thought of his poor other half, what kind of monster could beat them up so badly? No one deserves these kinds of bruises.

He quickly felt around his pockets for his phone, taking it out and calling his mother. She was either in the parking lot outside calling his grandmother or at the health food store across the street.

She picked up on the third ring, "Sweetie? Are you al-."

"Mom, it's happening again," he sobbed, unable to control the tears free-falling from his crystal eyes.

"Okay, take a deep breath, Lukey. How bad is it?"
"It's worse than last time, they're all over my stomach and it's really, really dark."

His mother sighed, trying to think of what to do, "I'm gonna be there in one minute, okay? Come outside, we can reschedule this lesson for another day."

Luke sobbed as he hung up. He had lots of feelings for his other half, he knew that this wasn't some accident like the other times. He couldn't possibly have fallen so badly to cause his entire body to be littered with red and blue and purple and green marks.

He headed out the front door, practically running to his mothers car. He opened the trunk, throwing his guitar in the back before running to the passenger seat.
Waterworks were still falling as he sat in the dark, soft seats.

"Oh my," his mother sighed, covering her mouth. "Lukey, they're all over your neck too."

Luke cried harder, ugly sobs falling fro his lungs as he tried to stop imagining what his other went through. He pulled down the mirror from the car, looking at his reflections. Eight red and purple were around his veiny neck, leaving deep marks. Everyone could tell what they were-they were fingers wrapped around his source of oxygen.

"Mom! What's happening?!" He screamed.

His mother wrapped her arms around him, no matter how uncomfortable it was leaning over the seat, she knew he needed a warm embrace and she hoped his other half had one too. "Take some deep breaths. Inhale. Exhale," she coached him as her cold fingers ran up and down the side of his arm.

He was arched over her, coughing.

"One day, you'll meet him or her or them, and it'll be better. You'll love them and cherish them and protect them from whatever does this to them."

Luke tried to stop being such a baby as the thought of comforting his poor other half grilled his mind. He wishes he could give them a big hug, a kiss on the cheek, and whisper them sweet nothings.

Luke watched carefully over his body the next few hours, he kept finding new marks and that stressed him out. He was glad they stayed on his body for those many weeks because the second they disappear, he knows his soulmate is dead.

But his soulmate lived, and their matching tattoos continued to show up.