2.1 - luke

2.1 - luke

The stage was wooden, the side curtains were royal blue. Luke was gripping the sheet in his hand so tightly, he was convinced it was going to rip. He’s done dozens of recitals, mostly at his guitar teacher’s home, but still. Performing is performing no matter where. 

This seems different though. 

His hazy blue eyes faze around the room, all of his classmates are watching a duo perform on stage, their voices shaking and knees wobbling. Luke knew he could do this. The nine year old was more confident in himself than anyone in this small auditorium room. 

He wasn’t scared of going up there, he was scared of messing up while up there. His teachers, classmates, and parents were all sitting in the ugly metal chairs, listening to each student do a fairly awful representation of their talent. 

There was clapping, suddenly there was clapping and Luke knew that it was his turn. The pit of his stomach was flipping, turning, burning. He lied, he was scared. The blonde boy with a short fringe didn’t know why he was scared, he’s never been scared to perform. Singing and playing guitar was his thing. He’s done it plenty of times and he’s pretty sure he’ll do it plenty more. 

He stood up, his Mini Martin—whom’s name was James—clutched tightly in his right hand as he wiped sweat off of his left. Luke, in his khakis and navy blue polo, started the few steps up the stage. Their principal was standing on the edge, delivering a pat to Luke’s back. 

Have these lights always been so bright? He wondered as he sat in the grey plastic chair. It was uncomfortable, hard, and warm from the kid before him. 

Luke plugged his acoustic guitar into the amp, it wasn’t a very good amp, even a nine year old knew that, but it was enough to convey all the way to the back of the room. He strummed a quick Bm7 chord, taking a deep breath. 

He was tense, he felt like he couldn’t breathe. He heard his vocal teacher’s voice in his head, relax the shoulders, introduce yourself. Luke leant forward, his lips only inches from the mic, “Hi,” he squeaked, his voice radiating off the walls, “I’m Luke Hemmings, and I’m going to be playing an Ed Sheeran tune. Hope you all enjoy.”

Take a deep breath, imagine the tune in your head. He took the plectrum that was laying tightly between the strings, quickly remembering the strumming pattern. 

5—0—1 was the first riff, he automatically switched into the melody intro, D DUDU D DUDU, he repeated in his head all the notes he needed to play. 

He leant forward once the intro was coming towards an end, Luke could hear the pitch he needed to match in his head. He leaned forward, sitting up straight as his lips came close to the mic once more. “Give me love, like her.” His voice was strong and powerful in his head. His intonation was forceful and intense. Every line coming from his mouth left from the diaphragm instead of his throat. 

By the time the bridge came along, a smile has spread across his mouth. Luke flinched his wrist on the end of the strings, palm-muting the next chords. He leant back, a grin echoing on his cocky face. He strummed the bridge intro, trying to get the new strumming pattern forced into his head, “M-my, m-my, give me love, love me,” he hated this part. 

No, he loved this part when the guitar prodigy, Ed Sheeran, did it. But when he did it, he hated it. He clenched his teeth as he let out the repeating line. 

He opened his eyes, looking at the hundred people sitting in the metal chairs, their feet mindlessly tapping as they watched his every move. 

This is what Luke wants to do with his life. He knows it now, this is where he belongs. This is all he ever wants to do.

(a/n) hey guys, how are you all doing? sorry i kinda suck, still getting into this story. 

ivona (hemmford) actually has a life, like she has friends and schools and activies and iM JEALOUS. but, this means that she doens't really have time to help cowrite :(

i'll be trying to update as much as i can now, since friends officially ended, blondie and breathing are already typed out (i just need to edit and publish), i'll have a bunch of time for this story and my nEW STORY COMING OUT NEXT MONTH so. 

cool. x, soph.