1.0 - michael

1.0 - michael

Michael had his head hung low, he kicked at the ground in his black Converse. The seat underneath him was hard and uncomfortable, maybe that was part of the punishment. He could feel his eye swelling with pain, who knew a seven year old could cause so much pain? He rolled the sleeves of his light grey hoodie past his fingertips, he was bruising all over, his entire body was in pain. 

“You can come in now,” the principal said, opening the large wooden door. 

He stood up from the wooden bench, tripping over his chubby feet. Michael kept his head down, looking at the blood stain on his white shirt. His dirty blonde hair was past his eyes and, for once, he was glad. He didn’t want to see the look on his mother’s eyes when she sat to his left, a stern persona casted upon her. 

“As I was explaining to your mother here, we do not tolerate any type of fighting here at East Lake Elementary…” His voice was deep and slow, over-pronouncing every word. Michael zoned out, focusing on the clicking of his mother’s heel. He focused on the clock, the thinest, smallest hand clicking every second. Mike wished he could disappear, simply vanish before everyone’s eyes. 

“Michael Gordon, are you listening?” His mother gave him a nudge on the shoulder, her face showing she was not happy. 

“They called me fat,” he whispered, putting his head down once more. He could hear his mother’s voice in his head, sit up straight, speak louder. “They told me no one could love me.”

“I don’t think that’s true. They’re very nice boys,” the principal spoke with confidence. 

“Are you lying?” His mother asked, glaring at her only child. 

Michael looked at his mother, scrunching his eyebrows, “no! I wouldn’t punch someone just because I felt like it!” He was offended. 

The blonde wiped his bloody nose, sniffling before zoning out once more. He wanted to die.