Wasn't You

Lime's PoV:

"I'm sorry, Green..." I murmured as he trudged along to his room. "I know it wasn't you..."

"How?" He muttered, "I was there, the right place, right time for it to be me"

"It's your son, obviously" I replied. "There's no way you could have-"

Green stopped walking for a while and just looked at me sadly. "How? You're the only person here who doesn't have a kid, how come you're the only person who understands?"

I paused too. "The children... and I know I'm really weak and sensitive, and I'd never hurt anyone anyway, but especially not them. I can't bear to see them upset... it's like they are my children now. Heh, needy I know... I rely on them more than they rely on me, to be honest"

"That's okay." Green sighed. "I think...... I didn't realise how much I relied on Avocado until...... just now....."

He began breaking down into tears and I panicked, not knowing how to calm him down. Why am I so rubbish with this?

"Would you wanna... go see him one last time?" I offered, and Green just stared back at me, his expression a mixture of depression, shock and anger.

"What the heck... you think I wanna see - how would you like to see one of 'your' kids dead?!"

"I'm sorry, that was misjudged" I squeaked, "and we don't know if he is dead... Lemon isn't dead, she was just... badly hurt... unconscious - but alive! He might be okay!"

Green got back up, angrily walking the rest of the way to his room and stood inside. "Don't talk to me. Don't try to make me hope that he's okay... false hope will only lead to more pain. Now lock the door and get outta here"

"Sorry" I whispered as I did what he told me, locking the door. I turned around and sat down with my back leant against the wall, resting my head on my knees.

Why..... just why?

Why did any of this have to happen?

Why this mission... why us?

Lapis's PoV:

I can't believe that they accused Violet... and Green, since, well... it's his son, right? And although my dad clearly didn't care about me, heh... Black and Lime are kinda like fathers to us now, and I know that neither of them would ever hurt us.

"Hey Lapis, can I go see Lemon now?" Indigo asked, but surely Avo's body was still in medbay...

"Not yet" I gently told her, she nodded before skipping back over to Mango and Snow. They're a little trio now, and although I'm always there to support everyone, especially Mango, due to her... circumstances, she mainly hangs out with Indigo, when she's not with Teal. They're so similar, Mango and Indie... have the same interests, both are pretty much always happy, full of energy, racing around or helping people... and I'm pretty sure they're the same age, actually-

Violet was sat there, still shaking. "Hey, it's okay" I murmured, comfortingly patting her back. "It must have been a shock... but it'll get better, I'll keep us safe..."

"Definitely" Peach added, sitting down next to her. "One thing you gotta know is that Lapis is the best leader in the world!"

"Yeah!" Choccy exclaimed, clambering onto the seat next to me and hugging my arm. "Captain Lapis!"

"But we're safe now, right?" Violet asked nervously as most of the other children joined us at the table. "I mean... you ejected both the imposters before, and you were never wrong once"

At this point, Peach made a distressed squeak-like sound. Everyone turned to her and she quickly ran off, mumbling some excuse about needing to finish off a task she forgot about earlier.

"What?" Violet asked, concern evident in her voice. "Did I say something wrong?". Rose glared at her and raced off after Peach, followed closely by Emerald.

Scarlet was clearly getting uncomfortable with the topic of discussion too. "We just... don't mention that word."

"What word?"

"The 'E' word" Scarlet mumbled.

Violet clearly didn't get it. "Ohhh, you mean ejection?"

"Uh, yeah, I just remembered that I also have a task that I haven't finished." Scarlet replied, quickly springing to her feet. "Coal, let's go."

Emerald's PoV:

Peach left the table when Violet mentioned ejection. All of us knew why... but Violet didn't.
Not only was Peach unnerved by ejection, but still hated the fact that she had to take the blame as an imposter child.

Now, Rose followed her, and I know this would have made it worse. I know what she did.

"Rose" I called as I caught up with her, "I think it's best if I go"

"Yeah" she muttered, looking rejected. "You're closer to her I guess... plus I'm not great with emoti-"

"I KNOW what you did!" I snarled at her, ad she seemed surprised, but not taken aback at all. "You're horrible - there's no way in hell that Peach will want to hear from you!"

Rose looked really angry, and just so ya know... angry Rose is terrifying. So I ran off before she could say anything else.

Sure, I'm not exactly on great terms with Peach either, but Rose doesn't need to know that.

Mango's PoV:

After the meeting, Teal's dad took her away. Again.

Which left me alone. Again.

Okay... time to practise what Teal had told me to do. I went into storage, by the big window.

"Mommy... I hope you can hear me. I- Teal said her mommy gave her a sign. Can you do that for me too, please? I just wanna know you're still here. And other mommy."

There was no reply, so I sat down cross-legged by the window. "Maybe you can't. Maybe the world won't let you... hmm. That's sad. Sad is bad... I know you want me to be happy and I'm trying hard." Still no response.
"Stars are pretty, right mommys? I like the planets. The one with the rings is my favourite."

After a while longer of trying to talk to them, Rose came up behind me. "Hey Mango" she exclaimed, much happier than usual. Yey, this was good!

"Haii!" I waved, "do you wanna-"

She cut me off, her tone returning to menacing. "You're the reason that Peach hates me. Everything was just fine until... well, it wasn't fine but you've made it a million times worse!"

"But Peach and you are good friends" I mumbled, "right? There's no way she hates you"

"Hah!" She laughed, "Yeah right. She loves that stupid Emerald... annoying goody two-shoes. Sound familiar?"

"N-No?"

"Well, I have good news for you." She continued, stepping closer as I stepped back. "You will see your mom again soon. Because your mom is dead, and you're gonna join her!"

"No! No, please..." I whimpered, shrinking back even further, holding my hands over my face.

Pain suddenly shot up my leg as she kicked me hard in the shin, before scoffing and walking off as I yelped like a puppy.

Mommy... it's not my fault, is it?

Hmm.

My gaze drifted across the wall...

Is this your sign?